New computer build-Video only works without GTX 670

boomandvibe

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
I built a new computer and when I finished building, I was getting no video input into the monitor.

So I googled and tried without the dedicated graphics card and it finally worked.

Whenever I plug the graphics card in, there is no video. I tried plugging the graphics card into a different PCI-E port, but didn't work. The graphics card's fan is running. I plugged power to both 6-pin ports. How do I fix this?

My build is:

i5-3570k

Asrock z77 extreme3

8gb memory

Nvidia GTX 670.

check that the mb has the newest bios installed. a lot of the z77 chipset has some post issues with some of the nvidia gpu. check on the mb that the 8/4 pin atx power plug is connected. this gives extra power to the pci bus for larger gpu. check your power supply make sure the 12v leg can power the video card. some power supply's have one leg some have more then one.
in the bios on new mb the onboard gpu (ipgpu) is set as the first video device. swap it to peg/pci.

boomandvibe

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

I have 8 pin atx plugged in but the cable is not separated (its not 8/4 pin) i have seasonic 620w psu. There is EPs 8/4 cable. This one is not connected anywhere but atx 8-pin 12v is connected to mb.

How do i check that bios is the newest version and how do i update it? Do i get into windows without the gpu plugged in?

I have 5-pin from psu, to molex, then molex to 6 pin, then to gpu. It is 2 molex to one 6-pin. Each pair of molexes is connected to each cable from power supply.

There is also 6 pin to 6 pin but I only have 1 cable that came with psu. I tried plugging that too but no luck.