[SOLVED] New computer build

s9yk3r

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
Hi all! As the thread's title, I'd like to build a new gaming rig, 'cause my actual rig it's a bit old (it's 6-7 years old, kinda - not the GPU and other minor components, still.. it's OLD). Sorry for my bad english, but i'm italian and i'm learning, so... :)

What I need, basically, it's just 3-4 components to play modern games at high details and at 100+ fps (at least 60, in any case, but without stuttering...).

So... I already have an idea of what I'd like to buy as CPU, but I can't decide other components and i don't wanna waste my money.

I'd like to have a Ryzen 3700x, at least (i mean, 3900x it's a bit an overkill for gaming (?)), so... I need advices for other components:

Motherboard
Ram (at least 16gb; i have 16gb ddr3, right now, but well... with a 3700x i need ddr4, so...)
Case with a decent airflow and good cable management (yea, i'd like to change my case as well)
PSU (semi-modular)
Some fans
A decent fan controller (not mandatory, I can buy it another time)

I don't want an AIO water cooler for the cpu, for now. I guess the stock amd cooler it's pretty good. I'll upgrade it later on.

My budget it's kinda 800€, but... I just need the listed components, so i'd like to spend A LOT less money, if it's possible. But I want mid/high quality components. Don't need enthusiast stuffs, so don't suggest some highly priced asus components, please.

I'll enlist components that I want to keep from my actual rig:

GPU (zotac 1080 amp extreme)
1HDD 1TB Western Digital blue 7200rpm
1HDD 4TB Western Digital red
1SSD 256 gb Samsung 850 pro

Plus, i already have a mechanical keyboard (corsair strafe cherry mx red), a decent mouse - old but good: sentinel III from cooler master, and a nice pair of headphones (beyerdynamic dt770 80ohm), with an asus xonar U7. I have a 144hz 1080p monitor, so that's good as well.

Also... the new rig need to be future proof (yea, probably i'll need to change that 1080 in 2-4 year, still... for now it's good enough, so it's a bit future proof).

Right now, I have a 4670k and it's overclocked to 4.2ghz (I don't have a better cooler, so 4.2ghz it's the max i can reach). It's a good CPU, and I can play most of the modern games at 60fps... with some compromises in settings; but, in games like battlefield 1, battlefield 5, outer worlds... I can't obtain stable 60fps. the cpu it's always on 100% and there is a lot of stuttering (I was able to optimize outer worlds settings, so i can reach stable 60fps, but not more). I tried Control as well, and as always... cpus it's bottlenecking my gpu (CPU always on 100%, when gpu it's on.. idk, 40%, 50%, sometimes - with outer worlds - it reach 80%, but well... i guess it's poor optimized). I have problem with the division 2 as well (yea, another poor optimized game; still, it's cpu hungry). It's a sad thing that i can't play games that i bought lol, so... and don't let me talk about Forza Horizon 4, another cpu hungry games. I can reach table 60fps on that as well, with some compromises, still... it's clear that I need a new rig, 'cause of the cpu.

Any advices?

Last edited:
Solution
first of all, thanks for the answer!

Uhm ok but did u read what I said? I don't need a gpu. 5700 xt has just 10-15% more performance than a gtx 1080 founder edition... i don't wanna change my gpu. infact, if you remove 5700 xt from the build you linked, it's 671.83 $. it's truly possible to build a new rig for 800€ or less if you already have a gpu XD

100fps on most games (when decently optimized, yea). And i don't mind to pull down some graphics effects (I don't care to have everything on Ultra, but I'd like to reach at least high, plus I'm used to tweak every game's settings for best performance/quality ratio; most of games have settings that stress hardware without give so much in exchange, so i'm used to tweak settings and low...

s9yk3r

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017

Uhm ok but did u read what I said? I don't need a gpu. 5700 xt has just 10-15% more performance than a gtx 1080 founder edition... i don't wanna change my gpu. infact, if you remove 5700 xt from the build you linked, it's 671.83 $. it's truly possible to build a new rig for 800€ or less if you already have a gpu XD

100fps on most games (when decently optimized, yea). And i don't mind to pull down some graphics effects (I don't care to have everything on Ultra, but I'd like to reach at least high, plus I'm used to tweak every game's settings for best performance/quality ratio; most of games have settings that stress hardware without give so much in exchange, so i'm used to tweak settings and low those specific settings that doesn't give me that huge quality improvement over performance).

That said, with a 470x motherboard (the one in the linked build) I should buy an upgrade kit for upgrade the bios (?). Is it possible to buy an x570? Ok, I really don't care about x570 new features, but... upgrading the bios for the 3700x it's a bit annoying...

Other components surely are interesting (especially the case and psu). for the ram, yea, I was thinking to buy those as well. Corsair's vengeance ram are very good

Last edited:

100fps on most games (when decently optimized, yea). And i don't mind to pull down some graphics effects (I don't care to have everything on Ultra, but I'd like to reach at least high, plus I'm used to tweak every game's settings for best performance/quality ratio; most of games have settings that stress hardware without give so much in exchange, so i'm used to tweak settings and low those specific settings that doesn't give me that huge quality improvement over performance).

That said, with a 470x motherboard (the one in the linked build) I should buy an upgrade kit for upgrade the bios (?). Is it possible to buy an x570? Ok, I really don't care about x570 new features, but... upgrading the bios for the 3700x it's a bit annoying...

Other components surely are interesting (especially the case and psu). for the ram, yea, I was thinking to buy those as well. Corsair's vengeance ram are very good

I see, I skimmed through the post honestly. Anywho, you don't buy any kit to upgrade the bios you do that yourself manually with a USB. I recommend you watch video tutorials. But if you don't want to go through that hassle, you can simply buy an x570. The Gigabyte pro gaming wifi is a good choice for the money.

Or if you want to go intel the 9700K with any z390 will hold you a little better for gaming only.

Solution