New computer crashes/restarts infinitely after I install Nvidia drivers?

jimmehhh

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Right, I got a new computer, 'twas completely blank, so I proceeded to install windows 7. First thing I noticed was that there were small black lines all over the screen that jiggled around when I moved the mouse. So, finished installing windows, and thought to download the latest drivers for a start.

Now, windows was working okay, there were black lines everywhere still jiggling and it refused to run in anything higher than 800x600, but it worked. As soon as I installed the drivers, restarted, it just crashes before it even reaches the login screen, then keeps doing it infinitely. Also, on the bootup screen with the picture of the motherboard/GIGABYTE it also has the little black lines everywhere. System is as follows:

CPU: i7 930
MoBo: Gigabyte X58A-UD7
GPU: Palit Nvidia 480GTX
RAM: 12Gb Ripjaws @ 2000Mhz
HDD: Western Digital 1.5Tb
PSU: 1050W

Any help/ideas would be great, because I just have no idea. Cheers.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
What is your memory and CPU clocked at? An unsucessful overclock can cause a computer to crash and restart repeatedly.

If you are using stock speeds and there is black lines even in the BIOS screen, you should check your cable. A broken cable can cause lines across the screens.

It could also be your graphics card being completely unstable. In BIOS, no graphics drivers are loaded and should definitely not crash. Otherwise it is a sign of a completely unstable graphics card. Though all graphics cards are hand tested before leaving factories so im not sure how one would get one that doesn't even work in BIOS screen.

Also try using 1 stick of memory with the correct voltages and only 1333mhz.

jimmehhh

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
The memory was stock at 2000MHz, and the CPU's at 2.80Ghz.

There are black lines on the motherboard logo bootup screen, but not in the BIOS menus and that. Like, if I go into the BIOS menu by pressing del on bootup, then all the menus are fine, though obviously very basic (solid blue background). It gets to that screen that shows the windows logo prior to the login menu, but then before it reaches the actual login screen, it crashes. So its not crashing during BIOS.

Also, I managed to get into windows via safe mode, and there were no black lines, however it was only running at 640x480 and wouldn't even let me go to 800x600. I tried reinstalling drivers and whatnot, but it achieved nothing.

jimmehhh

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Okay I also just tried booting off CD again, to see if that had all the black lines. And It does, the menus from installing windows off CD have black lines everywhere. What does this indicate?

jimmehhh

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Cable works fine, it's currently connected to my other computer. Unfortunately I can't check the card in my other computer because it won't fit.