New Computer for Skyrim

ryrypaguy

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
I am looking into a new computer that I will be doing two things with:
1. Email, net surfing, photos (not photoshopping), and
2. playing Skyrim and my older games. I am not a hardcore gamer, but I would like to have a computer that has pretty decent graphics so it looks as good or better than the xbox or PS3 versions.

I've been looking at Phenom II 6x CPU, which I think will be more than enough, but my concern is the GPU

The computers I'm looking at come with either a Radeon 6450 or Radeon 6670. From what I've read, neither of these seem super powerful, but will they be enough to get decent frame rate and visuals on Skyrim?

Any info would be great!

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

here is the predicted requirements I saw on the skyrim portal:

CPU: Core 2 Duo/Athlon X2 or better
RAM: 1.5GB
Video Card: NVIDIA 7800 Series, ATI Radeon 1800 Series or better
VRAM: 512MB of Graphics Memory
Storage: 12GB
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
ODD: DVD-ROM
DirectX: DX9.0c

I dismiss the above as you would have a tough time playing WOW on it. I hope the graphics will at least be as good as WOW at the minimum levels.

But the below specs I've seen elsewhere around the net. they seem to make more sense. Bethesda isn't going to put out something with sucky graphics, but they wont want to put out something that will have everyone running for new hardware. will it suck at the minimum requirements, probably, but it will be playable. to really enjoy it I would look at the recommended requirements

Minimum System Requirements
* CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz or Althon X2 2.0 GHz
* RAM: 3 GB
* HDD: 15 GB
* Graphics: 8800 GT
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c

Recommended System Requirements
* CPU: Core 2 Quad 3 GHz
* RAM: 3 GB
* HDD: 15 GB free disk space
* Graphics: Geforce GTX 460/Radeon 5850
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c

I would not go with a AMD x6, but rather a good x4 with L3 cache and a high clock rate. most games don't benefit from the additional cores, but do benefit from a faster processor.

I am building my wife a system soon just for Skyrim. She given me the deadline of 1 November to have it up on running with all here files transferred. I will be using a i5-2500k, Z68MB, 8GB ram, and a GTX 560ti 2GB for the gpu. I will most likely use a SSD for boot and APPS/Game and a 2 cheap WD "green" drives (raid1) for her data (photos). it may be a little overkill, but I she only lets me upgrade her computer every 3 or so years.