[SOLVED] New computer for streaming hockey

boba_fett31

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi, I'm looking to buy a computer for mainly streaming use. We don't have cable TV and have our TV hooked up to my current computer. I watch a lot of hockey and baseball and would like something that isn't choppy or pixilated. I'm just not sure how much computer I need. Currently im looking looking at a couple of HP computers.
1) AMD Ryzen 5 3400g with an N idia GeoForce 1650 (4go dedicated) ($500)
2)Intel i5-8400 and the Intel UHD 630 graphic card. ($420)

I can get other HPs with the i5 and a better graphics card, I'm just not sure if it's worth the investment ($500-$600 ). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Solution
Can you only go Pre-Built? I would say build a PC that has something like a Ryzen 3200g or if you want to and take the 2rd Gen Ryzen deals for like a Ryzen 2400g.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
What is the speed of your internet service and what PC do you have now? The choppy or pixilated could be caused by your internet service.

Second this. You dont need much of hardware to stream stuff these days. Pixelation and choppiness is usually due to either bad internet speeds or the streaming provider does not have enough bandwith to supply a proper stream. Use to have this problem before with a TV provider. At peak football matches they could not support the amount of bandwith needed for a proper picture trough their streaming service and sometimes even on regular channels.

Why are you even going to a computer for this? Check with devices like ROKU, Firestick and see if the app you use to watch is available there. Those are 1/10th the cost of the computers you are looking at.

You can also buy any $100 used computer if you want for this use, 3rt or 4th gen i3 or i5 should be available for $100 and with a small solid state drive they will run great for streaming, if you want to use a computer.