New Computer for Warcraft

tbark1989

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I am getting a new computer for christmas and i cant seem to get a solid answer for my question. it is a Dell Inspiron Desktop with an AMD Athlon ll x2 processor/ 4 GB mem / 3.0 Ghz/ 500 GB HD and an ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics card. Will this be able to run wow decently? Im working with a HP pavillion 1.6 Ghz / 760 Mb ram/ Intel (r) extreme graphics card right now. I was just wondering if i would see a little improvement in performance in my new purchase. Thanks

caqde

Distinguished
Improvement Yes you would see an improvement. Is it the best computer for Wow by far no. The Radeon HD 4200 is about 2-4X faster (Estimate considering I don't know the exact model you are using) than the Extreme graphics Integrated chip that you had. But mind you that isn't saying much given how slow Intel's extreme graphics chip was. So yes you would see an improvement.

tbark1989

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
actually, im sorry but i just looked up the card again and it says Intel (r) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphics controller. im guessing that is even slower then the Intel Extreme i mentioned above. Hopefully, so i will see even better results :)

redsunrises

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Yes you will see an improvement. But my advice is if you want a cheap computer for WoW, I would say spend the money you are spending on the Dell on a cheap a6-3650 APU build, which would cost about 350 for everything and work better than the 4200. And you would have a quad core instead of a dual core. If you arent into building one yourself, they sell prebuilt computers with the a6-3650 online. Just my opinion. :p

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
you can get pre-built computers made for gaming pretty cheap. i go to pull up a cheap system, and even i am sort of taken back at how good this system is for a pre-build for the price....damn...:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227371

$750 free shipping. this thing will give you 60 fps in warcraft. you won't drop frames even with 400 man raids.

1100t+gtx 560 1gb+8gb ddr3

the 1100t and gtx 560 = $400 right there.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Haha, you will see a huge improvement, but I wouldn't say it will play 'decently'. However, the problem can be easily solved with a quick graphics card upgrade (as yo_yo2400 has mentioned). However, coming from the computer you are using now, I'm sure you'll love the power and speed. Are you playing WoW on your old/current computer right now? o_O

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
If u want a reasonable fast system within budget, why not look for the llano?
A A8-3850 would be a nice CPU with a very nice IGP. It's MUCH MUCH MUCH better than this HD4200 series card.

Do you have a possibility to look for this CPU or u're binded to this dell?

tbark1989

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
dont mind if its a huge improvement, i just couldnt go into dal because of lag or if i did it would take about 1 or 2 minutes for the npcs to load. same with the 25 man raids and isle of conquest. all other territory wasnt that bad and was playable on the lowest settings. was just wondering if maybe i could actually walk through org without it taking 2 minutes to go from the front to the AH lol and maybe just maybe put my view distance up 1 notch so it doesnt look like im playing in a fog storm all the time :p. and thanks for all the replys any more help on this question would be great. i'll keep these notes just incase i can invest in a gaming computer later on

tbark1989

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
and phyco - im still playing on this old computer until i get the new one next month.
vitor- like i said dont mind a huge improvement just yet and my budget is rather low and was the best deal i could find. im sure theres other deals out there but this one is a store pickup right down the road and easy access :)

redsunrises

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

+1 to this

ch3rok33jo3

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Wow I used to run WoW on a PIII 900MHz, 386MB SDRAM, and a GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB when it first came out

What the heck happened to WoW? Why the jump in required hardware to run an EXTREMELY old MMORPG?

popatim

Titan
Cata has up'ed the playig field once again theres even a DX11 mode.

I actually play Wow on systems just like the OP is talking about. My laptop has a faster processor but still uses the GMA4500 video and wow is definitely palyable on low settings. Like wise, the pc I have for my grandson is a Compaq with an AthlonII x2 240 with integrated 4200 series GPU and it can play wow at a higher detail level but setting it down to low still helps framerates. You will still have graphics loading delays when you enter populated areas but it should be better with the 4gb of ram.

BTW - if you assign 1gb of ram to the integrated 4200 then you will only have 3 to game with. If you , down the road, want to add a dedicated GPU then you will most likely need to upgrade the Power Supply as the Dell comes with something like a 230w which is not enough to power even a medium power GPU. I have since put in a Radeon 5670 in my grandsons pc so he could play some games that would not run on the 4200. At the time the 5670 was the highest card I could add without changing the PSU but now there is a 6670 should you come into more funds down the road. He has a 250W psu in the compaq.