[SOLVED] New computer freezing on installation

Amnotgrayson

Commendable
Sep 18, 2019
Hello this is my first PC build. I’ve been trying to install Windows 10 on this new computer I built and it randomly freezes and never quits and I never even make it to the installation screen. Furthest I went was “preparing files for installation” and it freezes. I’m using the Windows 10 installer on a usb drive. All the lights are on in my case and everything. Nothing seems abnormal. The motherboard I’m using only has 2 fan slots, and I used both for the water cooler. So I don’t have any other stock coolers running, just the 2 fans on top of the radiator and the 2 fans on the gpu. I know I’m new to this and I hope it doesn’t sound too dumb, but is that mainly the problem why it’s freezing? Not enough airflow? I left the front panel off the case and its always cool in my room, is that still not enough? Or do you think anything else? Anyways I guess I have no idea what I’m doing after all. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Specs
Mobo-MSI H310M Gaming Arctic
CPU-Intel i5-9600K
CPU Cooler- Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
RAM- Corsair Vengeance 16Gb
GPU- GTX 970

Solution
You likely need to update the BIOS of the MB to support the new 9th gen Intel CPUs. I've read chat from a person using that MB verifying it fixes the problem.

As explained on the support page for your MB, you need at least BIOS version 7B28vH3 to use 9th gen Intel CPUs.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H310M-GAMING-ARCTIC

If the newly built PC is connected to the net, you should be able to DL that BIOS version straight from your BIOS flash utility in the BIOS. However you may need to plug in a USB drive to install it to.
You likely need to update the BIOS of the MB to support the new 9th gen Intel CPUs. I've read chat from a person using that MB verifying it fixes the problem.

As explained on the support page for your MB, you need at least BIOS version 7B28vH3 to use 9th gen Intel CPUs.

If the newly built PC is connected to the net, you should be able to DL that BIOS version straight from your BIOS flash utility in the BIOS. However you may need to plug in a USB drive to install it to.

Last edited:
Solution

Amnotgrayson

Commendable
Sep 18, 2019

Don’t see anything that allows me to update bios from M-Flash. I also don’t have any working computer anymore because my dumb self formatted my ssd on this pc which was my boot drive for my old pc before it froze up again

Don’t see anything that allows me to update bios from M-Flash. I also don’t have any working computer anymore because my dumb self formatted my ssd on this pc which was my boot drive for my old pc before it froze up again
All you have to look for in the BIOS is what version you're at, which should show at the top of the main page.

Using M-Flash is pretty straight forward.