New computer freezing without any reason

Feb 4, 2019
I put together a computer two weeks ago. My list of hardware is:

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G CPU
MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC mother board
2 of Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 3200mhz RAM
EVGA Supernova 650 G3 650 watt power supply
Crucial MX500 500GB SSD

My operating system is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

In the past two weeks after I assembled it, my computer has frozen three times. I was not doing anything demanding, mainly just browsing the internet and programing (aka editing text files). Everything I did was very smooth on the machine. I did not experience anything sluggish even right before the moment every time it freezes.

When it freezes, the graphics stops updating completely. I don't know if it is a graphics problem or if it's because the computer is completely frozen and not taking any input. (I would know if I had sound playing before it froze, but unfortunately I didn't.) The connection between the monitor and the computer was good. I tried to unplug and replug the HDMI cable but it did not unfreeze it. Hard reboot solved the problem.

I couldn't think of anything that would trigger this freezing. It seems to happen haphazardly. I don't know how I can replicate it either. But something is definitely wrong because it has happened three times in the last week.

I am very anxious and losing my sleep over it. I mentally reject using my shiny new computer fearing it would freeze. What should I do? Please help.

Feb 4, 2019

I can remain in BIOS without any issues. But I cannot confirm that my computer won't freeze in BIOS because the freezing doesn't happen very often. I am very sure that my BIOS is not the latest version, but the mother board is a very recent one designed for second gen Ryzen processors.

I just observed another issue with my computer when using BIOS. Just now when I rebooted my computer, the normally black background of the motherboard menu (the first thing you see when booting the computer, with the motherboard brand and instructions like "DEL -> BIOS SETUP") and the BIOS was neon green. Everything else (icons, text) was purple-ish. Everything was very fuzzy and hard to read. I quit BIOS and restarted, everything turned back to normal. I don't know how I can replicate this problem.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS