mark

Hardware
2 Maxtor 250GB Harddrives SATA
CPU AMD 2500 /333 ATHLON XP BARTON
MB Asus NFORCE2 A7N8X-E DELUXE
2 Mushkin DDRAM 512MB PC-3200
CPU FAN SPEEZE
Power Supply THERMALTAKE W0019+PFC Silent Purepower 480W
CASE Thermaltake V5000D XASERV DAMIER

The green light on the motherboard lights up but when I push the on
switch, nothing happens. I checked every wire connections numorous
times & everything appears fine. Anyone have any suggestions on whats
wrong?

Thanks

Mark

"Mark" <mheil@nebnet.net> wrote in message

> Hardware
> 2 Maxtor 250GB Harddrives SATA
> CPU AMD 2500 /333 ATHLON XP BARTON
> MB Asus NFORCE2 A7N8X-E DELUXE
> 2 Mushkin DDRAM 512MB PC-3200
> CPU FAN SPEEZE
> Power Supply THERMALTAKE W0019+PFC Silent Purepower 480W
> CASE Thermaltake V5000D XASERV DAMIER
>
> The green light on the motherboard lights up but when I push the on
> switch, nothing happens. I checked every wire connections numorous
> times & everything appears fine. Anyone have any suggestions on whats
> wrong?
>
> Thanks
>

> Mark

Remove everying except one stick of RAM and the graphics card. Now try to
boot it.

Next try swapping thw two sticks of ram over, followed by an alternate power
supply.

hamman

Mac

Check the reset BIOS Jumper.

mac

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:11:17 -0600, Mark <mheil@nebnet.net>
wrote:

>Hardware
>2 Maxtor 250GB Harddrives SATA
> CPU AMD 2500 /333 ATHLON XP BARTON
> MB Asus NFORCE2 A7N8X-E DELUXE
>2 Mushkin DDRAM 512MB PC-3200
>CPU FAN SPEEZE
>Power Supply THERMALTAKE W0019+PFC Silent Purepower 480W
> CASE Thermaltake V5000D XASERV DAMIER
>
>The green light on the motherboard lights up but when I push the on
>switch, nothing happens. I checked every wire connections numorous
>times & everything appears fine. Anyone have any suggestions on whats
>wrong?

If absolutely NOTHING happens, that is, even drives & fans aren't
spinnning, the odds are you have a power issue. Power issue
could be a PSU with insufficient capacity but the Thermaltake you
have is more than sufficient for listed parts. You might check
whether it's AC voltage selection switch on the rear is set
correct per your location.

Other potential power issues might be the board shorting out on
something (like a misplaced standoff), or a damaged component
plugged into it. You might remove everthing attached to board
and psu as another poster suggested (except CPU, heatsinks fan, 1
memory module and video card) and if that doesn't work then
remove motherboard and try it outside of case.

Try power supply while attached to only a low-value drive, ONLY
attached to that drive try shorting the PS-On line to ground with
a wire, paperclip, etc.
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/atx_on.gif
If you have a multimeter take voltage readings.
When the PS-On is shorted to ground the drive should be on and
PSU fan(s) spinning.

Double-check the power button, wiring to motherboard pin-header.
Try removing switch from equation by using a screwdriver tip or
similar to short the two power switch pins to turn system on.

You menion the system as "new" but are any parts already proven
working or are any/all of them potentially damaged/defective/etc
? Remove questionable parts, try them in another system if
possible and/or other replacement parts in that system.

kony wrote:

> Other potential power issues might be the board shorting out on
> something (like a misplaced standoff)

Unbolt the motherboard from the case, put it on your non-conductive desktop,
add a vid card and make all connections (power, ide, etc). Does it boot?

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 04:49:31 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>If absolutely NOTHING happens, that is, even drives & fans aren't
>spinnning, the odds are you have a power issue.

FWIW, I had a system once which refused to turn on unless there was a keyboard
plugged in.

Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:15:50 +0800, Christopher Pollard
<rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 04:49:31 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>If absolutely NOTHING happens, that is, even drives & fans aren't
>>spinnning, the odds are you have a power issue.
>
>FWIW, I had a system once which refused to turn on unless there was a keyboard
>plugged in.

That's very unusual, what (kind of) system was it?

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:47:42 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>>FWIW, I had a system once which refused to turn on unless there was a keyboard
>>plugged in.
>

>That's very unusual, what (kind of) system was it?

It was a SOYO slot 1 mb, with a Celeron 300A. I can't remember the exact model,
but it was a beauty in its day. About 6 PCI slots, and capable of handling up to
8 IDE drives. 4 the usual way and another 4 on some kind of SCSI interface.

Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:30:52 +0800, Christopher Pollard <rubbish@cginternet.net>
wrote:

>It was a SOYO slot 1 mb, with a Celeron 300A.

Forgot to mention, ATX.

Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net