New Computer Inconsistent Performance

Aug 30, 2018
Newly Purchased 900 dollar desktop performs very inconsistently. Additionally my graphics card also crashes at random times forcing me to to hard restart the computer in order to do anything.

I use my computer mostly for gaming and entertainment. Games I play range from MMORPGs to MOBAs to FPS's. While the frames do stay at 150 for the beginning, in many of the games cases the frames drop and stutter rendering it unbearable to plat with.

I havent tried really trouble shooting anything but I installed drivers, windows and tested the computer in bios step by step according to a PaulsHardware video on how to build a similar 800 dollar budget desktop in 2018.

My specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 ghz (3.9ghz max) Processor
16 GB Corsair Vengeance (8gbx2) RAM
AMD Radeon Nitro+ Sapphire Rx 580 4GB GPU
Sandisk 2.5' SATA III 480 GB SSD
Gigabyte x470 AORUS Ultra Gaming Motherboard
Seasonic M12II Bronze Evo Edition 520W Full Modular PSU

Monitor: Sceptre E248W-1920R 24 Inch Ultra Thin 1080p 75Hz LED Monitor HDMI VGA, Metal Black 2018

Other than that I downloaded the Windows 10 (Education Edition) as it was offered as a one time free purchase being a student at my university. I figured since my friend who also built a PC used it and worked with no issues, that it would also work for me.

Please help me trouble shoot this issue.

I have already tried messing with the voltage in the BIOS, finnicking around with the AMD GPU control panel to adjust clock speed and fan but nothing has really helped.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Oh. Just try a card replacement, one rx for another. Sorry if my bad experience lead my advices. Shaniandras is right. Try to make tour card be replaced and if it fails again, change to another brand as I did.
Aug 30, 2018
Additionally some issues I found after running both MSI afterburner and AMD Radeon GPU Settings that my memory is clocked at around 1500 hz, and my GPU seems to be rarely being used in some games, (only 700-800 hz).

Aug 30, 2018
I have not tried to severely underclock but I will try it out now - this seems problematic though, I spent 300 dollars on a GPU and it wont even let me use it to its fullest potential? Is there no permanent way to fix this issue?

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
No I would be a bit more diligent before I RMA something. All products have a chance of being defective but someone intejecting their own personal opinions instead of offering solid advice is irresponsible.
Have you checked your temps under load?

Aug 30, 2018

I have checked the temps. They range somewhere from 30-40 idle and 50-70 when running the more graphic intensive games that I play. This is all taken from the built in AMD Wattman. I too, at first believed I was not getting good enough ventilation, but after checking the temps while running games, I realized that the shutdowns happened randomly, no matter whether the computer was hot or not. In fact, the crashes happened usually during the start ups of games, never really during the matches. Anyways, the temperature didnt seem to be the issue.

After checking several forum threads similar to mine, I see that the PSU may be the culprit. Maybe my GPU needs more power?

I reset to default settings and underclocked on Wattman and it seems to have fixed the consistent display crash.

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
"Someone intejecting their own personal opinions instead of offering solid advice is irresponsible."

Apologies for giving my opinion. But I gave more than one solution and apparently nothing seems to work except the underclock part. A Seasonic 520 Watt PSU gives you that: 520 Watt, more than enough for that card. I have had the same problems with a more powerful PSU (750 Watt). So I adviced to RMA the card, what´s the point of buying a card that needs a lot of tricks and tweaks to make it work?. Probably is defective and he´s wasting time hearing "solutions" that will led him to a dead end on which he will realize that RMA is the only solution as it happened to me. Listen, I did ALL this with my rx460 before I RMA it:
-Clean install W7 32 and 64 bits.
-Clean install W10 (this time only 64 bits).
-Re installed latest and stable (older) drivers.
-Underclock in 20% the GPU with AMD tools.
-Re seated and cleaned all parts.
-Checked all cables.
-Re build the entire fan setup, tried positive and negative airflow. Case open included.
-Tested on three different systems with different RAM setups.

16 hours of fight. Don´t tell that I don´t give advice, tell that the advices are not complete, but I think thet every ppossible solution lead to the same direction: the card is not working as intended and, opinion or not, the user will realize that those cards are not trust worthy.

I have had 5 different AMD cads in this last 20 years, not much, but it is because I did wait several years between each one of them before giving them another new opportunity. Years without the ease of having fresh drivers, but this is nt a excuse for a brand.

My Ati rage XL perfomed worst than a intel 740, the All in wonder, only gaved me headaches (BSOD, the guy from the shop was an angel of patience) until I RMA it, the x1650 worked worst that a sis 650 from a laptop I had, I don´t remember the othe one bought in 2008, but it costs me an eye and worked paired with others more cheaper (I have remember it SVGA 256MB ATI SAPPHIRE 9550 AGP) , lucky me it did not crash and worked fine, the rx460 with which I fought last days is the last time I give another oportunity to that brand.

It´s an insult to pay almost 300 pounds for a GPU that need to be underclocked to levels similar of a 150 pounds GPU to make it work without crashes.

Apologies for my opinion, but my advice is to RMA and check if other GPU will save you from those kind of situations. :/

Aug 30, 2018

Hey thank you for your response - do not worry I did not think that your comment was too "opinionated", I appreciate that you are even trying to help me.

So this is an issue with just a defective GPU?

I would like to be able to be done with this issue, but this is my first built PC and it has been 2 weeks since I built and have been using it. Will an RMA still be possible? Also for all the PC veterans, is there a smart way to do this? (as a beginner I dont want to mess anything else up.) Also which parts should I replace for what? I have around a 200+ budget in addition to the money returned from returned parts (assuming this is how it works).

I ordered from Newegg as well.

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Oh. Just try a card replacement, one rx for another. Sorry if my bad experience lead my advices. Shaniandras is right. Try to make tour card be replaced and if it fails again, change to another brand as I did.

Solution

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
I think that´s the solution. The seller must only replace that card for another one (same brand and series) and then you have to try to run games and software until you are satisfied WITHOUT HAVING TO TOUCH ANYTHING, just plug, install drivers and test, any other option is not aceptable for a new component!!. If the card still keeps working like a snail, change the card for another of another brand.