Question New Computer Intermittently Crashing

barky502

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
Hey Tomshardware Forum,

I recently upgraded my computer. I went from an i5-6600, an ASRock H170 motherboard, and an MSI GTX 970 to an i5-10600, ASUS B460-I motherboard, and an ASUS RTX 2060, all into a mini ITX case. I kept all my storage devices (2 HDD and 1 SATA SSD), power supply (650W), and RAM (DDR4-2133) the same. The computer booted first try and there were really no issues besides having to reassign the boot drive. I updated all my motherboard drivers using ASUS Armoury Crate, updated the BIOS, and my graphics drivers. If I missed anything and I'm just being silly, please let me know.

Now for the issue: my computer will just intermittently freeze entirely, and not unfreeze. Usually it also makes a really loud sound right as it freezes up. The monitor stays on, and the computer won't shut off even after a few minutes of being left alone. No blue screen, just like someone presses pause. Once I shut it off, it just boots up without a hitch, and the only error in reliability monitor is "Windows was not properly shut down." This has really only happened while I'm running a game, and the most recent time it happened

I hadn't had an issue with my old computer, so I feel like this isn't a power supply issue, and probably isn't a storage issue, especially given the nature of the crash. I don't know if it's a graphics card issue, since graphics partly stop working, but I ran the card for two days on my previous computer without any crashes. The only "red flag" would be that (unknowingly to me when I ordered it from Amazon,) my CPU is a refurb. I could probably get a replacement without a problem just to eliminate this variable altogether.

I'd love to hear what you guys have to think, please throw any questions my way, I'd be glad to provide whatever information you need.

Thank you,
Ben