[SOLVED] New Computer - New to Overclocking. Suggestions?

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/kTFcjp

I just got my new computer all together and happy yesterday and I was planning on overclocking this computer but I honestly have never done so. I haven't had a new computer in 8 years.

First question I guess is, should I even overclock to begin with?

Second, I have no idea how to go about such a process, I'm not completely new to stuff, I've messed with bios n other things and I'm somewhat computer savvy, just never worked with overclocking before. Are there any guides / recommendations you may have for me.

As i understand it, overclocking seems a lot more simple these days than when i last looked into it 8 years ago. But I still am not sure where to start.

I know this is kind of vague but i'm all ears and sort of excited to see the next level of computer building for my life. I'm sorry if there's obvious info out there and I didn't look very thoroughly but I thought i'd start here.

Last edited:
Solution

I just got my new computer all together and happy yesterday and I was planning on overclocking this computer but I honestly have never done so. I haven't had a new computer in 8 years.

Overclocking of Ryzen 3000 processors is both pointless and risky because AMD's boosting algorithm is so good at boosting to the highest clocks the processor can support. The folks who spend a lot of time overclocking have found this out and are pretty strongly advising to keep to very low fixed core voltage (1.2v) when taking the multiplier out of AUTO. Find your highest stable manual clock speed with that voltage to...
A good list.
ryzen does not overclock much; I would not bother.

On the graphics card,
Graphics card vendors bin their chips and use the better ones in factory overclocked versions
that they can sell for more. You may be able to OC more, but then again, perhaps not.
They try to differentiate by adding cosmetics and fancy coolers which also sell for more.
I do think you get fair value from a modest factory overclocked card.
If you need more performance, they buy a higher tier card in the first place.

yabanci70

Prominent
Dec 2, 2018
1am

Second, I have no idea how to go about such a process, I'm not completely new to stuff, I've messed with bios n other things and I'm somewhat computer savvy, just never worked with overclocking before. Are there any guides / recommendations you may have for me.

As i understand it, overclocking seems a lot more simple these days than when i last looked into it 8 years ago. But I still am not sure where to start.

I know this is kind of vague but i'm all ears and sort of excited to see the next level of computer building for my life. I'm sorry if there's obvious info out there and I didn't look very thoroughly but I thought i'd start here.
Are you using stock cooler or am I missing something? Youll get a very small overclock using that, and not much extra performance using an aftermarket cooler anyway. I've oc'ed my 2700x, somewhat, easy enough to do with ryzen master but saw next to nothing in terms of uptick in fps or turn time gain even in so called cpu bound games. In short, you may as well give it pop if youre just curious but don't expect great results

Overclocking of Ryzen 3000 processors is both pointless and risky because AMD's boosting algorithm is so good at boosting to the highest clocks the processor can support. The folks who spend a lot of time overclocking have found this out and are pretty strongly advising to keep to very low fixed core voltage (1.2v) when taking the multiplier out of AUTO. Find your highest stable manual clock speed with that voltage to avoid permanently degrading your processor. That's both the starting point and safest working point if you don't first go through the process to determine what your processor's unique maximum loaded FIT voltage is.

Even when done at it's best, meaning safely, you'll find actual performance pretty much the same as it can do on it's own in heavy multi-threaded workloads and most likely lesser performance in light single threaded workloads such as games.

Instead, focus on getting the highest memory clock speed; 3600 is very achievable with the right memory kits and even with the wrong ones if you work at it some.

Also tweak in PBO settings. Setting PBO over-rides current and power limits to let the processor sustain higher clocks during heavy work loads. It works best when coupled with better than stock cooling since the boosting algorithm pulls back clocks and voltage faster/further when average core temp gets above 80C.

Last edited:
Solution