New computer, no display

TheJohns

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Recently I built my first computer. I put all the parts in, plugged in the wires, got the computer to turn on, but nothing shows up in the display. I plugged an HDMI cable into my Radeon HD 6950 to my TV but my TV isn't getting any display.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I need something else? The graphics card doesn't have a VGA port, and the TV doesn't have a DisplayPort or DVI, so unless I buy a converter I'm stuck with HDMI. Am I going to need a monitor, or at least until I install the drivers or something?

Here are my specs:
Mobo: ASRock P67 Extreme4
GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon 6950
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer Series 520W
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4 GB) DDRS

TV: Toshiba 19AV600U

americanbrian

Distinguished
Do you here it BEEP when it trys to boot? If your internal speaker gives you the POST beep, then you probably just need to attach a monitor via one of the other ports, I have never booted to HDMI, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but maybe it is looking only at the monitor outputs.

The other possibility is that something isn't seated quite right, you can try to reseat the RAM and GPU.

If that doesn't work, I would suspect the MOBO or PSU as being faulty first, though in truth it could be the RAM, CPU or GPU too. All of these would cause not to post if broken. Its just I have seen more PSU and MOBO failures than any of the others.

TheJohns

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

Would the computer beep even if I didn't plug in a monitor? Anyway, no. What does that mean? Am I still going to need new cables?

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
no offence but as its your first build heres the question. Did you install the motherboard studs correctly in the right position. Its a noob mistake that most of us make, heck i just screwed my mobo straight to the case and was wondering why i had no display.

TheJohns

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

I did, I screwed in the mobo where the studs were placed on the case when I first got it.

I'm not even sure if the mobo comes with an internal speaker. I didn't see the parts for it separately, so I'm assuming it's already attached to it.

TheJohns

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

No beeps...

[strike]I looked at the manual and it seems to be stuck at the phase "Pre-Memory South Bridge initialization is started" (x19). Hope that'll tell you guys something.[/strike] Fixed it, but it still isn't receiving the signal.

rallansc

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Good day. From what you've said this is a new PC build. So OS & drivers are not yet installed specially video drivers that will allow your PC to ouput on a HDMI display. MB BIOS won't have the required drivers codes that your new video card has. I suggest you use a standard monitor first to have your OS system setup then have the video drivers installed and try connecting your PC now to the HDMI display.

TheJohns

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Okay, I think I know the problem. The HD 6950 isn't listed on the VGA Support list for the mobo. I'm not sure if it matters or not, or if people got a 6950 working on the P67 Extreme4, but that's all I can think of.