New computer.No picture. Please help me figure this out.

bostonmike

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Ok, so I had my old computer hooked up to a 22in monitor with a vga cable. I get a new computer with a GTX260 card in it. No VGA on mobo. I switched the display from vga to dvi on old computer then I hooked up the new computer. Black screen. Any ideas where I could have gone wrong? Is there something wrong with the computer? Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
When I bought my recent computer and a new Lg23" monitor, it wouldnt recognize it either. I brought out my old hp15" lcd and plugged them both in and turned my system back on and the HP monitor fired up. Installed the drivers for the 23" and i was off and running. If you have an old CRT laying around or another older monitor plug it in and try that.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
When I bought my recent computer and a new Lg23" monitor, it wouldnt recognize it either. I brought out my old hp15" lcd and plugged them both in and turned my system back on and the HP monitor fired up. Installed the drivers for the 23" and i was off and running. If you have an old CRT laying around or another older monitor plug it in and try that.

Solution

laptopluney02

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008

Mike if I were you , I'd first install the drivers for the video card, new computer should have come with cd/dvd , if not use the old computer to download the drivers for the video card to a cd or flash,dvd, whatever you have, install them.BEFORE PERFORMING THIS DISCHARGE ALL STATIC ELECTRICITY, either by buying an anti-static wristband or you can rub you hands on the cage of the case that hold the hard drives,do this a few times to make sure it's dischagred, If that doens't work, make sure to turn the computer off and turn the switch off on the back of the computer if it has one, pull the power plug, then remove the cable to video card that goes to your monitor,pull the PCI-E power plug at the back of the video card,most of the PCI-E power plugs will be facing the front of your case, then remove the video card itself, ok be careful when doing this, you have to push up gently on the bent arm of the PCI-E slot to actually remove the card, take your time doing this ok, let the card sit for a few minutes and just reinstall it the same way it was.Hook everything back up in the same order and give it a go, hope this helps, good luck, PS...If your not comfortable doing this, just take it back to where you bough it and have them do it, might be a good idea to bring the monitor you'll be using and take notes if you have to as the tech does his work, this way when you get it home, you'll know what your doing.

bostonmike

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Ok, I'd like to add that this is a brand new computer. I bought it already assembled. If I open the case I can't return it. I also don't want to return it to find out that I did something stupid and used the wrong cable or monitor or something.
Also, it turns on. All fans are spinning and everything sounds normal. Mouse and keyboard are lit up. When I get home I have a small LCD monitor that I'm going to try to hook it up to like mrmotion said.

laptopluney02

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Mike, great idea bud, just return it and let them deal with it.Your 22" monitor works on the old puter right?Hope it works out for ya bud, good luck and let us know what it was please, thanks , laptopluney02

bostonmike

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
OK guys, thanks for all the help! This setup really busted my .....chops. I got home and my smaller lcd only had a VGA connection. So I went downstairs and dug up a s-video to component connector and a R,B,G, cable. Connected the s-video to the card then the R,B,G, to my TV. Amazing, it worked! Once I got the computer started and Windows setup, I could add my monitors. Why they set it up this way I have no idea. I wanted to post the solution to this problem in case anyone else had the same problem, hopefully this solution will help them out. I'm new here and I really appreciate the information on this forum. I will frequent this site more often as I see there is so much to offer.

laptopluney02

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Glad you got it working, they probably had it hooked up to a tv at the store at some point is all I can think of and never switched it back over.Hope you enjoy it and glad you posted the fix, it should help others out as you said, have a great day Mike!