New computer not recognizing monitor

Inertmeheren

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
I built a new computer the other day for my sister this Christmas and when I went to plug it into a monitor it just doesn't detect the monitor, I a couple different ports, on the graphics card, took out the graphics card and tried the ports on the motherboard and neither worked. I checked all the connections, restarted the computer, restarted the monitor, still nothing.

Specs:
i3 4150
Gtx 650
8GB Ram
500GB HDD from her old computer

Any and all replies are greatly appreciated!

Solution

Then its probably not that your computer isn't recognizing the monitor...

ToxicBanana

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Make sure the motherboard isn't sending the main video feed out the integrated video card.
Look on the motherboard ports for a connection, if there is one plug into that and change your BIOS settings.

Inertmeheren

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015

I've tried it with 3 different monitors

What kind of connection? And how would I change my BIOS settings if I can't see anything

ToxicBanana

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
ToxicBanana said:
Make sure the motherboard isn't sending the main video feed out the integrated video card.
Look on the motherboard ports for a connection, if there is one plug into that and change your BIOS settings.

What kind of connection? And how would I change my BIOS settings if I can't see anything

Look where you plug in your keyboard, mouse and other devices, I would expect you to find some video output connectors there, these might be on by default. if they are you need to plug into those first then change your settings via BIOS.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Then its probably not that your computer isn't recognizing the monitor. You are failing POST (power on self test). This could be caused by many different things all of which are covered in the troubleshooting guide I linked.

Solution

Inertmeheren

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015

I tried it on all the ports, same thing

Inertmeheren

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015

I tried those options and it worked! Thank you so much!