[SOLVED] New Computer Overheating - Need Advice!

Oct 6, 2020
Alright, so I know a decent amount about computers, enough to get by. But I'm absolutely terrible at putting them together and manually messing with the B IOS. I paid someone $50 to put all the parts together for me. The computer turns on and everything. At idle, the CPU runs about 40 C. When I play a game though, I'm consistently at 90-100 C. Here are my specs:

CPU: 10850K 3.6 Ghz (not overclocked at this time)
Video Card: EVGA 3080 FTW2
Motherboard: MSI Unify Z490
Power Supply: Corsair RMX Series 1000 Gold rated
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB AIO

From what I can tell, everything is installed correctly.

Running 90-100C seems really high if I'm not overclocking. Is this normal for the CPU? I know they run hot. I read that the Z490 motherboards, MSI included, have way too aggressive stock settings and it might be supplying too much voltage on the auto setting and that someone else was able to get their temps down by manually setting their VCORE. I was going to set the VCORE manually to 1.28V. Would this cause issues? And what should the LLC be set to? Auto, or should I pick a specific mode if I do that?

Like I said, I'm a bit in over my head, so sorry if these questions seem silly.

Solution
Your idle temperature tells me that either the cooler was not mounted well, or it was partially defective.
Most any cooler should run at 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
You are right to return the cooler. Likely the original owner sold it knowing it was not quite right.
Possibly, it had lost some fluid or had some blockage in the cooling lines.

The other thing to check is how the radiator is mounted in your case.
The most effective location for cpu cooling will be in front as an intake.
For a hot processor like an I9, that is probably best.
The offset to that is that the motherboard and graphics card will be cooled with warmer air.
Oct 6, 2020
I would say the heatsink was not properly installed.

This worries me too. The H150 I purchased new from Amazon new was clearly used. One of the fans was broken. It looked like when someone was trying to screw it in, they slipped, broke a blade off the fan, and punched a tiny hole in the radiator (but not the tube - there was no leaking). The guy putting it together took one of my old fans and put it in place of the broken one and installed it all.

To be on the safe side, I ordered a new one and I'm going to return the used one to Amazon. I'm having the new one put in today, but since it seemed to be working, I didn't think that would cause the overheating.

Your idle temperature tells me that either the cooler was not mounted well, or it was partially defective.
Most any cooler should run at 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
You are right to return the cooler. Likely the original owner sold it knowing it was not quite right.
Possibly, it had lost some fluid or had some blockage in the cooling lines.

The other thing to check is how the radiator is mounted in your case.
The most effective location for cpu cooling will be in front as an intake.
For a hot processor like an I9, that is probably best.
The offset to that is that the motherboard and graphics card will be cooled with warmer air.

Solution