New Computer Question

David

I just ordered a new Dell Dimension 8400 and need to know how I can transfer
some program files from my old Compaq computer to the new Dell? The old
computer had a zip drive and the new one doesn't. I thought I had read
somewhere where you can hook up the two computers by a cable but don't
remember how.
Thanks in advance for any help of this.
david

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 02:10:29 GMT, david wrote in

> I just ordered a new Dell Dimension 8400 and need to know how I can transfer
> some program files from my old Compaq computer to the new Dell? The old
> computer had a zip drive and the new one doesn't. I thought I had read
> somewhere where you can hook up the two computers by a cable but don't
> remember how.

If your old computer has a NIC card or Ethernet adapter then get a
crossover cat-5 cable and you can hook them directly up to each other. You
will need to enable file and print sharing on both machines and make sure
they are on the same workgroup. Then, just create a shared folder on your
desktop and anytime you want to transfer stuff between the two machines
place the files into the shared folder on one machine and you can copy it
over to the other.

I have a router hooked up to my cable modem and the two desktop machines
are able to share the Internet connection, my printer, and files without
any problems but I have used the crossover cat-5 cable method in the past
before I got the router to transfer stuff between computers.

Or, you could just burn the files you want to transfer to a CD. It would
probably be quicker and, depending on your knowledge of networking, a lot
faster. ;-)

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

"david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just ordered a new Dell Dimension 8400 and need to know how I can
transfer
> some program files from my old Compaq computer to the new Dell?

Generally you can't. Programs must be re-installed.

> The old
> computer had a zip drive and the new one doesn't. I thought I had read
> somewhere where you can hook up the two computers by a cable but don't
> remember how.

You can. Presumably your new machine is XP and if so in its help search
"cable connection".

> Thanks in advance for any help of this.
> david

terrible answer, Ron. .

XP comes with a wizard to help you copy your data to a new machine. You will
need to re-install your apps on the new machine, but the wizard creates a
big zip-like file that you can then copy between computers (using the
methods described in this thread). This is generally good for things like MS
applications. If you have been very good about organizing your data in your
My Documents folder, this works relatively well. If not, you may need to
copy individual files over from one comp to another. This works best if XP
is installed on both machines. If not, you will need to use other methods.

Another method not already discussed, would be to put the drive from your
old compaq into the new dell, as a slave on the same IDE channel. Then, you
can copy files from one drive to the other without the need for any
networking. This is a relatively simple thing to do, but if you are
uncertain then you should ask a neighbor, or someone you know who is
knowledgeable for assistance.

- NuTs

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> "david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I just ordered a new Dell Dimension 8400 and need to know how I can
> transfer
> > some program files from my old Compaq computer to the new Dell?
>
> Generally you can't. Programs must be re-installed.
>
> > The old
> > computer had a zip drive and the new one doesn't. I thought I had read
> > somewhere where you can hook up the two computers by a cable but don't
> > remember how.
>
> You can. Presumably your new machine is XP and if so in its help search
> "cable connection".
>
> > Thanks in advance for any help of this.
> > david

David

"David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 02:10:29 GMT, david wrote in
>
> > I just ordered a new Dell Dimension 8400 and need to know how I can
transfer
> > some program files from my old Compaq computer to the new Dell? The old
> > computer had a zip drive and the new one doesn't. I thought I had read
> > somewhere where you can hook up the two computers by a cable but don't
> > remember how.
>
> If your old computer has a NIC card or Ethernet adapter then get a
> crossover cat-5 cable and you can hook them directly up to each other.
You
> will need to enable file and print sharing on both machines and make sure
> they are on the same workgroup. Then, just create a shared folder on your
> desktop and anytime you want to transfer stuff between the two machines
> place the files into the shared folder on one machine and you can copy it
> over to the other.
>
> I have a router hooked up to my cable modem and the two desktop machines
> are able to share the Internet connection, my printer, and files without
> any problems but I have used the crossover cat-5 cable method in the past
> before I got the router to transfer stuff between computers.
>
> Or, you could just burn the files you want to transfer to a CD. It would
> probably be quicker and, depending on your knowledge of networking, a lot
> faster. ;-)
>
> Dave
> --
> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> US Army Signal Corps!!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now how
can I tell
if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
Thanks again.
david

> Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
> How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
> I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now
how
> can I tell
> if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
> I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
> Thanks again.
> david

NIC = Ethernet Adapter (NIC stands for Network Interface Card)

Unless Dell does something tricky with the installation of Windows, the
default workgroup name *should be* WORKGROUP.

Are you familiar with settiing up TCP/IP networking ? do you have an
ethernet hub or switch? How is the Compaq computer's networking configured
right now ?

- NuTs

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:49:44 GMT, david wrote in

> Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
> How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?

Well, the 8400 should come with a built-in NIC. It's the plug on the back
of your computer that looks like a large phone plug. It's known as an
RJ-45 connector. Check to see if your old computer has a plug like that on
the back of the system. If not, then a crossover cable and networking your
machines together won't work unless you install a NIC card in the old
machine.

> I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now how
> can I tell
> if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?

As the other poster said, generally the default workgroup is WORKGROUP.
Also, I've found it often times a lot easier to install NetBIOS and use
that to network machines together here at home. Less stuff to set up that
way. I just used the Network Setup Wizard to get my two machines working
together. Click on it and follow the prompts. :)

> I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.

No CD burner or no CD burning program? If you just don't have a burning
program then have no fear. Windows XP can burn CD's on it's own. Just put
a blank CD in the burner and the window that comes up is where you will
drag stuff to that you want burned. Then just click the write files to CD
(or whatever it says in the pane on the left) and there you go.

If no burner then disregard. :)

What kind of Zip drive do you have? Is it a USB model or is it built into
your Compaq? If it's a USB just copy the files to a Zip disk and then move
the drive to the new machine. If it's built it then it's probably an IDE
model. While you could also just move the zip drive over, that is a bit
more work.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

Nice Post, David

... one correction though: You meant to say the NetBEUI portocol (not
NetBIOS).

Its fast and lightweight. Easy to install and setup. It makes it so that
other computers in the workgroup show up when you browse MyNetworkPlaces.
But, you still have to create a "share" on the C drive, and/or D drive
depending on what the Compaq system has.

- NuTs

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:49:44 GMT, david wrote in
>
> > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
> > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
>
> Well, the 8400 should come with a built-in NIC. It's the plug on the back
> of your computer that looks like a large phone plug. It's known as an
> RJ-45 connector. Check to see if your old computer has a plug like that
on
> the back of the system. If not, then a crossover cable and networking
your
> machines together won't work unless you install a NIC card in the old
> machine.
>
> > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now
how
> > can I tell
> > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
>
> As the other poster said, generally the default workgroup is WORKGROUP.
> Also, I've found it often times a lot easier to install NetBIOS and use
> that to network machines together here at home. Less stuff to set up that
> way. I just used the Network Setup Wizard to get my two machines working
> together. Click on it and follow the prompts. :)
>
> > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
>
> No CD burner or no CD burning program? If you just don't have a burning
> program then have no fear. Windows XP can burn CD's on it's own. Just
put
> a blank CD in the burner and the window that comes up is where you will
> drag stuff to that you want burned. Then just click the write files to CD
> (or whatever it says in the pane on the left) and there you go.
>
> If no burner then disregard. :)
>
> What kind of Zip drive do you have? Is it a USB model or is it built into
> your Compaq? If it's a USB just copy the files to a Zip disk and then
move
> the drive to the new machine. If it's built it then it's probably an IDE
> model. While you could also just move the zip drive over, that is a bit
> more work.
>
> Dave
> --
> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> US Army Signal Corps!!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 00:13:47 -0500, NuTCrAcKeR wrote in

> Nice Post, David
>
> ... one correction though: You meant to say the NetBEUI portocol (not
> NetBIOS).

Oops! You're right. :)

> Its fast and lightweight. Easy to install and setup. It makes it so that
> other computers in the workgroup show up when you browse MyNetworkPlaces.
> But, you still have to create a "share" on the C drive, and/or D drive
> depending on what the Compaq system has.

Yep!

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

David

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> "david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I just ordered a new Dell Dimension 8400 and need to know how I can
> transfer
> > some program files from my old Compaq computer to the new Dell?
>
> Generally you can't. Programs must be re-installed.
>
> > The old
> > computer had a zip drive and the new one doesn't. I thought I had read
> > somewhere where you can hook up the two computers by a cable but don't
> > remember how.
>
> You can. Presumably your new machine is XP and if so in its help search
> "cable connection".
>
> > Thanks in advance for any help of this.
> > david

Thanks Ron Reaugh for you quick reply.
I will search the cable connection.
david

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> terrible answer, Ron. .

Clueless.

> XP comes with a wizard to help you copy your data to a new machine.

Yes it does and I showed how to find it.

>You will
> need to re-install your apps on the new machine,

That's what I already posted.

Can we say plagiarize.

> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> > terrible answer, Ron. .
>
> Clueless.

You have no idea who I am or what my skills and qualifications are. Be very
careful.

> > XP comes with a wizard to help you copy your data to a new machine.
>
> Yes it does and I showed how to find it.

Show me where you mentioned the "file and settings transfer wizard",
located under Programs>Accessories>SystemTools ? Well, You didnt. Your post
does not mention a wizard of any kind, much less a place to locate such a
thing.

Saying "search help" for something that will help him connect 2 machines is
hardly the process that I outlined above. But, as you so astutely missed, I
did site using any of the other methods to connect 2 computers in the
thread, your input included.

> >You will
> > need to re-install your apps on the new machine,
>
> That's what I already posted.

I was specifically referring to datafiles generated by the OP's (that would
be Original Poster's) applications that he wants to move, but also siting
that the wizard would not move the program files for them. I believed it was
important enough to re-iterate (that means to repeat), as a novice may be
inclined to misunderstand. I added that as a precaution.

> Can we say plagiarize.

I suppose you would accuse me of plagiarizing on the grounds that we both
used the word "the" in our posts ... To plagiarize, I would have had to post
an overwhelming amount of your writing as my own, which anyone in this group
will agree I did not. Funny how you failed to mention the data copy method
of putting both drives in one machine. That's the first thing that I would
think would come to mind, especially with such a seasoned professional such
as yourself.

Oh, I heard that there was a BIOS update, with undocumented enhancements,
that would do this whole process for them if they pressed a hidden key
combination while the system was booting. Do you think that the BIOS should
be updated to address that?

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 23:32:31 -0500, NuTCrAcKeR wrote in

>> Clueless.
>
> You have no idea who I am or what my skills and qualifications are. Be very
> careful.

Just ignore him. Ron is nothing more than a lame troll.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> > > terrible answer, Ron. .
> >
> > Clueless.
>
> You have no idea who I am or what my skills and qualifications are. Be
very
> careful.

Well you've already made your ineptness very apparent...I'm sure your skills
and qualifications follow that closely.

Are you a criminal? OR are you a smalltime newbie sysadmin?

> > > Clueless.
> >
> > You have no idea who I am or what my skills and qualifications are. Be
> very
> > careful.
>
> Well you've already made your ineptness very apparent...I'm sure your
skills
> and qualifications follow that closely.

Gee, I missed that part. Can you clue me in on how you arrived at that higly
refined conclusion?

> Are you a criminal? OR are you a smalltime newbie sysadmin?

Oh, man, this is GREAT ! 1 response from me, and you are already stooping to
name-calling. Sheeeeeze.

Why dont you try to find out how smart I am ? Come on, this is your chance
to Stump the Judge ! Make it a good one.

-NuTs ( by the way, I own you already Ron. I have a nice rubber gimp suit
that is just your size).

The guy wants to transfer a few files. Offer help not snow!

> > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
> > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
> > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now
> how
> > can I tell
> > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
> > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
> > Thanks again.
> > david
> >

> NIC = Ethernet Adapter (NIC stands for Network Interface Card)
>
> Unless Dell does something tricky with the installation of Windows, the
> default workgroup name *should be* WORKGROUP.
>
> Are you familiar with settiing up TCP/IP networking ? do you have an
> ethernet hub or switch? How is the Compaq computer's networking configured
> right now ?
>
> - NuTs

You don't appear to believe in asking questions to collect pertinent
information with which to fashion accurate, credible answers.

Butt out, Ron (or whoever you are)

> The guy wants to transfer a few files. Offer help not snow!
>
> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> >

> > > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
> > > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
> > > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq.
Now
> > how
> > > can I tell
> > > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
> > > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
> > > Thanks again.
> > > david
> > >

> > NIC = Ethernet Adapter (NIC stands for Network Interface Card)
> >
> > Unless Dell does something tricky with the installation of Windows, the
> > default workgroup name *should be* WORKGROUP.
> >
> > Are you familiar with settiing up TCP/IP networking ? do you have an
> > ethernet hub or switch? How is the Compaq computer's networking
configured
> > right now ?
> >
> > - NuTs

David

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

> > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
> > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
> > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now
> how
> > can I tell
> > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
> > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
> > Thanks again.
> > david
> >

> NIC = Ethernet Adapter (NIC stands for Network Interface Card)
>
> Unless Dell does something tricky with the installation of Windows, the
> default workgroup name *should be* WORKGROUP.
>
> Are you familiar with settiing up TCP/IP networking ? do you have an
> ethernet hub or switch? How is the Compaq computer's networking configured
> right now ?
>
> - NuTs

Thanks NutCrAKeR for you quick reply.
I am sorry to say I am not familiar with setting up TCP/IP networking, and
haven't
a clue if I have a ethernet hub or switch. I am a novice as I am sure you
can tell.
I will be willing to find out how my computers networking is configured if
you would
be so kind as to tell me where to look. Although I did go to Network under
the Configuration tab and "Client for NetWare Networks" is listed as is
"File and printer sharing for NetWare Networks" if this helps. I found this
looking it up under Help.
Thanks again"
david

> Thanks NutCrAKeR for you quick reply.
> I am sorry to say I am not familiar with setting up TCP/IP networking, and
> haven't
> a clue if I have a ethernet hub or switch. I am a novice as I am sure you
> can tell.
> I will be willing to find out how my computers networking is configured if
> you would
> be so kind as to tell me where to look. Although I did go to Network
under
> the Configuration tab and "Client for NetWare Networks" is listed as is
> "File and printer sharing for NetWare Networks" if this helps. I found
this
> looking it up under Help.
> Thanks again"
> david

Hello David. I completely understand where you are coming from.
Where did you aquire this computer form? From where did you get the Compaq?
Do you live near a tech school, or university?
Perhaps a local PC shop may be your best option. Or, a student might help
for a small sum of moneyu. Unless you really want to learn how to do this,
or time is a factor for you, you may want to consider getting some in-house
assistance on this. Its something that can be accomplished via postings in a
group, however, you would probably benefit most from having someone come in
and walk you through how to do this (or do it for you and explain it step by
step). A more interactive approach may be more beneficial to you. I dont
know where you are located, and I am not asking for money to help you, but I
have done this type of thing for other people and it has been time and money
well spent.

What method suits you best at this point ?

- NuTs

The thread title fully characterizes what and who you are.

> > > You have no idea who I am or what my skills and qualifications are. Be
> > very
> > > careful.
> >
> > Well you've already made your ineptness very apparent...I'm sure your
> skills
> > and qualifications follow that closely.
>
> Gee, I missed that part. Can you clue me in on how you arrived at that
higly
> refined conclusion?
>

> > Are you a criminal? OR are you a smalltime newbie sysadmin?
> >

> Oh, man, this is GREAT ! 1 response from me, and you are already stooping
> name-calling. Sheeeeeze.
>
> Why dont you try to find out how smart I am ? Come on, this is your chance
> to Stump the Judge ! Make it a good one.
>
> -NuTs ( by the way, I own you already Ron. I have a nice rubber gimp suit
> that is just your size).

> The thread title fully characterizes what and who you are.

It sounds like you are pouting, Ron. its not very becoming.

- NuTs

David

"David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:49:44 GMT, david wrote in
>
> > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
> > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
>
> Well, the 8400 should come with a built-in NIC. It's the plug on the back
> of your computer that looks like a large phone plug. It's known as an
> RJ-45 connector. Check to see if your old computer has a plug like that
on
> the back of the system. If not, then a crossover cable and networking
your
> machines together won't work unless you install a NIC card in the old
> machine.
>
> > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now
how
> > can I tell
> > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
>
> As the other poster said, generally the default workgroup is WORKGROUP.
> Also, I've found it often times a lot easier to install NetBIOS and use
> that to network machines together here at home. Less stuff to set up that
> way. I just used the Network Setup Wizard to get my two machines working
> together. Click on it and follow the prompts. :)
>
> > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
>
> No CD burner or no CD burning program? If you just don't have a burning
> program then have no fear. Windows XP can burn CD's on it's own. Just
put
> a blank CD in the burner and the window that comes up is where you will
> drag stuff to that you want burned. Then just click the write files to CD
> (or whatever it says in the pane on the left) and there you go.
>
> If no burner then disregard. :)
>
> What kind of Zip drive do you have? Is it a USB model or is it built into
> your Compaq? If it's a USB just copy the files to a Zip disk and then
move
> the drive to the new machine. If it's built it then it's probably an IDE
> model. While you could also just move the zip drive over, that is a bit
> more work.
>
> Dave
> --
> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> US Army Signal Corps!!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

Thanks again Dave for the quick response.
Unfortunate the Zip I have is built in so no help there.
I will have a CD burner on the new computer but none on the
old one. I did find out I had a Ethernet Port though and in you
first response I believe you ask if I had an Ethernet adapter and if
so I could attach a crossover cat-5 cable to each computer. Will
the Ethernet Port help?
Thanks.
David

Tim

David,
within 21 days of your invoice date you will be eligible for free
Advanced/Support from Dell. If you have a network card in the old
computer, you could buy a crossover cable and call Dell technical
support and ask for advanced support if the technician cannot help
you. Advance support can help you install/configure the network.

Other options which you have are :

1. Remove the zip drive from old computer and install it in the new
computer. For removal and installation of of parts in your Dell
computer refer the manual that came with the new computer and you can
also take the help of Dell technical support.

2.Buy USB memory to transfer data. You could go for 256 MB.

3.Help from others in this newsgroup.

Tim.

"david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<eP58d.662207$Gx4.370121@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:49:44 GMT, david wrote in
> >
> > > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
> > > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
> >
> > Well, the 8400 should come with a built-in NIC. It's the plug on the back
> > of your computer that looks like a large phone plug. It's known as an
> > RJ-45 connector. Check to see if your old computer has a plug like that
> on
> > the back of the system. If not, then a crossover cable and networking
> your
> > machines together won't work unless you install a NIC card in the old
> > machine.
> >
> > > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now
> how
> > > can I tell
> > > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
> >
> > As the other poster said, generally the default workgroup is WORKGROUP.
> > Also, I've found it often times a lot easier to install NetBIOS and use
> > that to network machines together here at home. Less stuff to set up that
> > way. I just used the Network Setup Wizard to get my two machines working
> > together. Click on it and follow the prompts. :)
> >
> > > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
> >
> > No CD burner or no CD burning program? If you just don't have a burning
> > program then have no fear. Windows XP can burn CD's on it's own. Just
> put
> > a blank CD in the burner and the window that comes up is where you will
> > drag stuff to that you want burned. Then just click the write files to CD
> > (or whatever it says in the pane on the left) and there you go.
> >
> > If no burner then disregard. :)
> >
> > What kind of Zip drive do you have? Is it a USB model or is it built into
> > your Compaq? If it's a USB just copy the files to a Zip disk and then
> move
> > the drive to the new machine. If it's built it then it's probably an IDE
> > model. While you could also just move the zip drive over, that is a bit
> > more work.
> >
> > Dave
> > --
> > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> > US Army Signal Corps!!
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
> >
> > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!
>
> Thanks again Dave for the quick response.
> Unfortunate the Zip I have is built in so no help there.
> I will have a CD burner on the new computer but none on the
> old one. I did find out I had a Ethernet Port though and in you
> first response I believe you ask if I had an Ethernet adapter and if
> so I could attach a crossover cat-5 cable to each computer. Will
> the Ethernet Port help?
> Thanks.
> David

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 06:10:18 GMT, david wrote in

> Thanks again Dave for the quick response.
> Unfortunate the Zip I have is built in so no help there.
> I will have a CD burner on the new computer but none on the
> old one. I did find out I had a Ethernet Port though and in you
> first response I believe you ask if I had an Ethernet adapter and if
> so I could attach a crossover cat-5 cable to each computer. Will
> the Ethernet Port help?

It should if the connector is an RJ-45 type. An RJ-45 connector is just
like a phone line connector except larger to accommodate more pins.

Also, if you do decide to network them together, make sure you get a
*crossover* cat-5 cable. A cat-5e cable will also work fine. Just ask the
sales clerk in whatever store you go to if you're not sure. Also, don't
believe them if they tell you that you need the super expensive type of
cable. You're not running a mission essential network or anything so the
cheap cable should work just fine.

I don't know if you game at all with friends and such, but a crossover
cable is also great for hooking up two machines directly to each other to
multi-play. I used to do that with a null-modem cable back before Ethernet
ports and NIC cards were standard equipment. :)

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message news:<_qadnd3pAY5Vef3cRVn-gQ@speakeasy.net>...
> > The thread title fully characterizes what and who you are.
>
> It sounds like you are pouting, Ron. its not very becoming.
>
> - NuTs

GEE, Iwish I had all the time in the world to send garbage back and forth!

TRENDING THREADS