[SOLVED] New Computer shuts down keyboard and mouse, can't install Win 7

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Long story short, I was building a new PC for my younger brother after all the parts arrived I spent 7 hours putting it all together. After making sure all the cables, ram, and GPU were set I proceeded to turn the power on. The fans were working, the monitor was functioning, and at the time even the mouse and keyboard were on. The problem occurred after I put the win 7 disc into the external DVD drive after it booted up the screen where your suppose to select the language and what not, the mouse and keyboard suddenly turned off so at that point I decided to hard reboot it as that was my only option. I tried again and it gave the same result. I then looked at all the plug ins and components and they were all tightly snugged in. At this point I'm stumped is there a reason for why trying to install Win 7 causes a mouse and keyboard to shutdown, even though the tower itself and monitor are still on. I could really use the help here.

Components:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
  • Corsair H100x 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
  • Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
  • Antec P8 ATX Mid Tower Case

That's because windows 7 installation doesn't have USB drivers integrated, that are necessary for your motherboard.
You can use PS/2 keyboard, mouse during install process.
Or you can integrate USB drivers into installation.
Use gigabyte windows USB installation tool
https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Utility?kw=b450&p=1

If your external DVD drive is USB connected, then you will not be able to install without USB drivers integrated.

Or install windows 10. It doesn't have this USB drivers problem.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Solution

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Are you using a USB 2.0 port? USB 3 ports are problematic here; you have to remember Ryzen does not support Windows 7. There are workarounds, but when you add in the fact normal security updates for Windows 7 end in a month, there aren't many good reasons to be installing Windows 7 here.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

Ya, your link definitely matches the type of problem I am facing currently, I didn't know about this since it's my first try at installing an AMD related chip and motherboard. Thanks for the help and link!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ya, your link definitely matches the type of problem I am facing currently, I didn't know about this since it's my first try at installing an AMD related chip and motherboard. Thanks for the help and link!

It's not just an AMD thing; there's also no legacy operating system support for Kaby Lake and newer Intel processors. Windows 7 came out a decade ago and all parties are trying to get PC-using consumers onto the same Windows.

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
It's not just an AMD thing; there's also no legacy operating system support for Kaby Lake and newer Intel processors. Windows 7 came out a decade ago and all parties are trying to get PC-using consumers onto the same Windows.
Seems like it since I went back to the PC part maker and just inputted the same parts I used to make my own PC and compatibility with Windows 7 is no longer a thing now. Gotta love the fix what's not broken.

TRENDING THREADS