[SOLVED] New computer shutting off randomly during gaming. Used to work perfect 3 months ago.

blueachros

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
6 months ago I purchased all the components to build a PC. My brother helped my pick the parts and build the PC (he's an avid pc builder). I didn't have any problems until about 2 months ago. While gaming (usually COD) the pc screen would randomly stop working, go black OR the screen would make a bizarre looking image (see link to pic). The rest of the pc seemed to keep running just fine and all other hardware components were continuing to receive power. Sometimes the PC would turn off automatically after a few minutes on its own however some times I would need to hard reset the computer. When the problems started to occur I noticed that I could play video games for multiple hours and then each time there was a random shut off, that time got shorter and shorter. 3+ hours to now about 15 minutes...

Some weird occurrences I've experienced in the past 2 months. Not sure if these problems stem from the same cause or it's 2 separate problems which I find hard to believe. I've gotten a couple of BSOD's (PFN LIST CORRUPT) (DRIVE IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL) (DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION) all while the computer was idling and/or I was gaming/browsing web. I heard faulty hard drivers can sometimes cause what I'm experiencing. ODDLY enough I disconnected my only HDD and would you believe it, it looked like the random shut offs immediately ceased to exist... at least for a while. Maybe a week of 3+ hours of game play per day the computer was running just fine however after about a week the problems started to occur again. The HDD is still not connected to my computer.

View: https://imgur.com/a/QMnIVFJ

Additional Notes-

I tried multiple monitors
I ran memtest86 multiple times and the windows memory diagnostic tool. No errors.
I thought it might be a PSU problem so I purchased a new psu with higher wattage. (Gigabyte 750 from a 650W)
I reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch and updated it.
I updated to the newest BIOS version.
Event Viewer Shows Kernel Power Event ID 41 (63)

GPU Stress Test (Furmark) runs for maybe 10 seconds and then screen shuts off. The GPU temp did not go above 65 Celsius before shutting down.

I just did the GPU stress test before writing this post... so after all of this do you guys think maybe I have a bad GPU?

MOBO ~ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi
CPU ~ AMD Ryzen 5 3400
GPU ~ EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super
PSU ~ Gigabyte P750GM
Memory ~ 4x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RBG 3600

Last edited:
Solution
My thought is a hardware problem. Do you see similar errors in Event Viewer?

GPU is also suspect.

However just as a matter of elimination - determine if Windows can find and fix something within itself:

From Microsoft's website:
  1. Right-click on Start and then select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, and then press Enter. This will fix any corruptions that it finds.
  3. Type SFC /Scannow on the prompt, and then press Enter. This scan will repair system files.
Reference link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-failure/65a6de15-4ce9-4426-a7a6-1879214a3fb6

Do you...

Ralston18

Titan
Did you update the GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website? If not, do so manually: download, reinstall, and reconfigure as applicable. No third party tools/apps.

Any errors, warnings, or even related informational events in Reliability History or Event Viewer?

-------

Log off, power down, unplug the computer.

Open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are all fully and firmly in place.

blueachros

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
Did you update the GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website? If not, do so manually: download, reinstall, and reconfigure as applicable. No third party tools/apps.

Any errors, warnings, or even related informational events in Reliability History or Event Viewer?

-------

Log off, power down, unplug the computer.

Open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are all fully and firmly in place.

I have the must up to date Nvidia driver for this GPU.

I cleaned the inside and out and didn't see anything that appeared off. no corrosion, no bulging resistors, etc. Some of the wires were pinched or snug in the areas to keep them out of sight.

I opened the reliable history and yesterday for example it showed about around 60 hardware errors between 247pm, and 252pm. Here is one of them

"
Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffff9909cee94010
Parameter 2: fffff8043a122298
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 4
OS version: 10_0_19042
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
"

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is a hardware problem. Do you see similar errors in Event Viewer?

GPU is also suspect.

However just as a matter of elimination - determine if Windows can find and fix something within itself:

From Microsoft's website:
  1. Right-click on Start and then select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, and then press Enter. This will fix any corruptions that it finds.
  3. Type SFC /Scannow on the prompt, and then press Enter. This scan will repair system files.
Reference link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-failure/65a6de15-4ce9-4426-a7a6-1879214a3fb6

Do you have access to another GPU and/or computer to swap the GPUs? Determine if the problem stays with your computer or follows the GPU.

Note the last post in the above referenced link.

Solution