New computer "skipping"

djacoby495

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
so i just built myself a new AMD gaming computer which consists of these specs

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor (overclocked to 3.8Ghz atm)
Motherboard:ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Case:NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Memory:CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
Video Card:EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

so thats about everything if you need more ask...
anyways on to the problem i just built it like 2 weeks ago for the first like week or so it worked perfectly fine worked amazingly!
but then it started to kinda "skip" every now and then it will hiccup for a few frames then it works fine and happens again kinda annoying happens either when i have 2 displays running or when i have a video playing on 1 screen and am connected to my network or doing something else in the background is getting really annoying and this system should be able to handle playing a video and surfing the web..doesn't happen when im playing games on max graphics or anything(usually don't have 2 screens running then) so idk why if you have any ideas please help thank you :)

also just wondering why does 8gb's of ddr3 1600 ram show a max bandwidth of 667Mhz in the motherboard software that came with it?

It's double data rate RAM, DDR. Your processor runs it at 1333 by default, which is 667x2.

Something running in the background is probably messing with your video playback. Make sure you have all the latest drivers for your chipset and video card.

Is this video playing in the browser? Does it also happen playing video in the Windows media player? What about other software such as VLC?

I'd say this is definitely a software problem, not a hardware problem. My first choices, in order of likelihood, would be:

- Video card driver update
- Windows update (could be either an update you haven't installed causing trouble, or more likely an update you recently installed getting in the way)
- Chipset driver

edit: also, the RAM problem could be an underlying cause of something bigger. It's pretty common that DDR3-1600 will not self-detect and automatically run at the right settings; you often have to play with it manually. The 667MHz is possibly a real problem where the BIOS defaulted to the lowest "safe" speed and timings it recognized by itself (in which case, simply going into the BIOS and dealing with the RAM settings manually will save you a ton of time and trouble). Or it could be a fake problem whereit's not recognizing properly because of some idiosyncrasy with the motherboard and other components. In any case, if the system is running RAM at less than half the speed it should, that COULD cause some hiccups under intense situations. So definitely check out the RAM too.

djacoby495

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
oh Okay thank you about the RAM thing just wasn't sure good to know :)

anyways onto the real problem ummm it usually doesn't happen when im playing something in the broswer or at least i haven't noticed it mainly when watching something in windows media player and i haven't really tried vlc yet ill get right on that and yes everything is up to date thank you :)

oh and svchost usually stays around 122,648K memory use 0CPU don't know if it should be or not butr thats really the only high thing in the background

TRENDING THREADS