Question New computer suddenly can't boot Windows or Windows USB installation

Revolas

Honorable
May 27, 2017
The computer crashed for the first time last night, then 5 minutes after and now it can't even boot windows anymore.

BIOS is stable, but trying to run Windows 11 or the Windows 11 USB installation also crashes the system, trying repair options, etc. It's really strange how it crashes, there's like an 80% chance it crashes (turns off, not freeze) the exact moment I choose any option, so occasionally I get a little bit farther, but when it does crash, it usually crashes the moment I click an option. I have seen the BSOD error 0xc00000e a bunch of times too, but that might be due to it crashing while trying to fix it.

Things I've tried: Swapping PSU, tried different ram, unplugging other HDDs/SSDs so only one is plugged in, unplugging non-vital stuff, checking temperature, different outlet, different GPU.
So maybe that just leaves the CPU/Mobo? CPU will be a pain to try and hunt for the paste and apply each swap but worth a shot, but mobo seems kind of impossible to test outside of just building all the parts on the other PC? Hopefully I don't have to wait a week or two for them to verify and send out a replacement if those turn out to be a problem.

EDIT:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite
Ram: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 3600MHz
SSD/HDD: Silicon Power 1TB - NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 2280 SSD
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Mini 8GB GDDR5
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold
Chassis: LIAN LI LANCOOL 215 W

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of the PSU, apart from it's make and model. Please include all the hardware that you've used in order to swap or rule out your existing hardware as, not faulty. Where did you source the installer for your OS...?

Revolas

Honorable
May 27, 2017

Everything besides GPU is like 2 months old. Admittedly PSU was supposedly refurbished (I could have sworn it wasn't when I ordered it...)
I tried a samsung SSD instead of the nvme, I tried a 1080 video card instead, I tried a different PSU (admittedly an old one, but still, same issue), I tried G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM instead

I got Windows directly from their tool that installs it to USB. It worked fine for 2 months, now it doesn't.

Everything besides GPU is like 2 months old. Admittedly PSU was supposedly refurbished (I could have sworn it wasn't when I ordered it...)
I tried a samsung SSD instead of the nvme, I tried a 1080 video card instead, I tried a different PSU (admittedly an old one, but still, same issue), I tried G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM instead

I got Windows directly from their tool that installs it to USB. It worked fine for 2 months, now it doesn't.
These ssds or nvmes that you are using, are they totally blank with a GPT identifier and all of the space totally unallocated? Is it possible that remnants of previous Windows installations remain on those drives that are affecting your ability to boot from a usb? Can you boot from a usb with no drives connected other than the usb?

Revolas

Honorable
May 27, 2017
What were you doing in the minutes before it crashed?
Nothing, just looking at phone.

These ssds or nvmes that you are using, are they totally blank with a GPT identifier and all of the space totally unallocated? Is it possible that remnants of previous Windows installations remain on those drives that are affecting your ability to boot from a usb? Can you boot from a usb with no drives connected other than the usb?
They aren't blank, one is the windows 11 version and I have managed to log in on a rare occasion (doesn't last longer than a minute), the other has an old windows 10, but its crashing on the USB like it was before and have tried other USB slots. I just tried to boot with no drives just USB and it's still crashing. I also stumbled across a "Critical process died" error during it, I also have seen 0xc000000e BSOD.

A shot in the dark, but I'm guessing my motherboard is struggling to maintain contact with an important hardware piece. Reseating isn't working so I'm guessing it's on the soldered side of the motherboard.

I think I'm going to gut my current computer and get the CPU and put it in the other one to verify if the problem still exists. Sadly cpu coolers these days seem to come with paste applied rather than with a tube so I only got like a 5 year old thermal paste which I can use to test this. I'll report back after.

Reactions: dwd999

Revolas

Honorable
May 27, 2017
So I tried the CPU from my other computer and it worked fine on this PC and was able to just do a clean install.

Looks like a faulty CPU I suppose. Temperatures never really got high AFAIK and the pins looked fine.
After the clean install, I put the old CPU back in and it still was busted. BIOS is up to date as well.

Guess I'll go contact AMD tomorrow.

Reactions: dwd999