[SOLVED] New Computer Time!

architect md

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Hi all, after being talked out if purchasing a pre-built it’s time I built myself a new pc. It will be primarily for gaming (things like AC Valhalla, Baldurs Gate 3, Control) and I am looking to purchase as soon as stock is available.

The overall budget is sub £2.2k but ideally closer to or below £2k. This is what I am looking at right now:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i (already owned)

Motherboard: Asus Prime x570 Pro

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4 x 8) DDR4 3600 CL-18

Storage: Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb (already purchased)

GPU: gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Vision

Case: NZXT H710i (white)

PSU: Corsair RMx 850W white edition

I have Windows and peripherals, happy to purchase from any reputable online vender, there may be some overclocking. Visuals have some impact too.

any advice at all would be great but motherboards baffle me the most, I have been recommended the MSI Tomahawk x570 as an alternative but I’m not sure. Any advice on where to go with the motherboard would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Solution
The 710i is a good case. But the pricing is very bad, it's not the best at airflow either. At least where I live, it's about 180-200 GBP. Lancool II Mesh (100GBP) is way better. So is the O11 Dynamic (130-180 GBP) . Or the Phanteks P500A (close to the H710i but much better imo) if you want a bigger but more cuboidal tower rather than the cubic O11
The 710i is a good case. But the pricing is very bad, it's not the best at airflow either. At least where I live, it's about 180-200 GBP. Lancool II Mesh (100GBP) is way better. So is the O11 Dynamic (130-180 GBP) . Or the Phanteks P500A (close to the H710i but much better imo) if you want a bigger but more cuboidal tower rather than the cubic O11

Reactions: architect md
Solution

architect md

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Thanks for the tips. The NZXT has a premium cost but I do like the crisp minimalist design and it looks super easy to build in / tidy. It’s about £160 here so waiting to see if it gets reduced for Black Friday. Those other cases you mention look good, I’ll keep an eye on them too.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Thanks for the tips. The NZXT has a premium cost but I do like the crisp minimalist design and it looks super easy to build in / tidy. It’s about £160 here so waiting to see if it gets reduced for Black Friday. Those other cases you mention look good, I’ll keep an eye on them too.
Yeah I like the minimalism too. But that could work with any case (certainly not as well though) as long as there's no RGB fans

architect md

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Okay so I’m thinking if swapping out the motherboard for an MSI X570 Tomahawk which is making me very sad as it’s not as pretty. But it does seem better, cheaper and it comes with assassins creed.

I am also thinking of swapping out the RAM for G Skill trident Z RGB 32gb (2x16) 3600Mhz CL-16. The timings are better and it would be easier to upgrade the amount later with 2 sticks. It’s also a little smarter looking I think.

Okay so I’m thinking if swapping out the motherboard for an MSI X570 Tomahawk which is making me very sad as it’s not as pretty. But it does seem better, cheaper and it comes with assassins creed.

I am also thinking of swapping out the RAM for G Skill trident Z RGB 32gb (2x16) 3600Mhz CL-16. The timings are better and it would be easier to upgrade the amount later with 2 sticks. It’s also a little smarter looking I think.
Yeah. AMD favors G Skill over Corsair. I do think the Dominator RGB is the best looking RAM though. And if you want better looking boards why don't you check out Strix B550 boards? Or Aorus boards? I think Aorus and Strix both look better than MSI.

architect md

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Yeah. AMD favors G Skill over Corsair. I do think the Dominator RGB is the best looking RAM though. And if you want better looking boards why don't you check out Strix B550 boards? Or Aorus boards? I think Aorus and Strix both look better than MSI.
Thanks for the thoughts! I thought it would be best to go for a x570 motherboard. Am I wrong there?

Thanks for the thoughts! I thought it would be best to go for a x570 motherboard. Am I wrong there?
I mean "best" is of course X570. But I do not think X570 is very necessary imo. Not with gamers at least. I myself wanted an X570 but after B550 came out and had native Ryzen 3000 support and Pcie 4, I picked up an Aorus B550 Pro AC

Strix B550F is a better option, looks wise and performance wise, but it's costlier here. Plus yiu have Corsair RGB on that cooler I assume, iCUE controlled? Asus' mobos and GPUs have RGB sync with iCUE

I would say consider the ICUE thing for RAM too. The timing thing is not VERY essential, barely any FPS loss, but every time you look over to your PC you'll see RGB sync heaven. It's a tradeoff, you gotta decide which one is worthwhile

architect md

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Well that opens up a lot more options!

At the moment I am trying to aim fir decent longevity in as many parts as possible, I was hoping the x570 board could stick around in the case for longer than the b550s.

The cooler is actually an h100 (got that wrong before) so it has no rgb. The nzxt case comes with a controller but I’m not sure how good it is. I’m aiming for something simple with any RGB I do get. I’m liking these builds but not sure I can create something similar without compromising too much on performance.

So pretty!

A little showy but still pretty sharp!

Well that opens up a lot more options!

At the moment I am trying to aim fir decent longevity in as many parts as possible, I was hoping the x570 board could stick around in the case for longer than the b550s.

The cooler is actually an h100 (got that wrong before) so it has no rgb. The nzxt case comes with a controller but I’m not sure how good it is. I’m aiming for something simple with any RGB I do get. I’m liking these builds but not sure I can create something similar without compromising too much on performance.

So pretty!

A little showy but still pretty sharp!
Well I do not know about the controller, but ram and mobo rgb truth icue doesn't need a controller. If you don't want unicorn piss like I have, you can use trident Z, and skip the "sync", do all white or something like that

Okay I’m running myself round in circles here!

If you had £2k - £2.2k to spend on a new gaming computer, what would you do?
LOL! that happened to me before, I ran myself around in a thousand circles!

Okay so since you like white builds. I'd say

5600X
B550 Vision D / Strix B550-A (it's really classy imo)
If you buy a case with a visible PSU or cutout, Corsair's white RMx line is pretty which you chose
White corsair individually sleeved cables, if needed
Tons of options in cases, P400A, 500A, L2 Mesh, all white, 275R airflow, 4000D airflow etc
Vision OC is white too
You can get more of the fans that your case has, or if you want different fans LL120 white are good
For RAM, either Trident Z Neo (which has that white/metallic heat spreader) or white Vengeance RGB Pro (I don't think dominator rgb white exists) edit: my bad, dominator white does indeed exist. It has very bright LEDs too if you like bright white light or whatever kinda bright light

I think this will set you back around your budget