Question New computer will not boot, ram debug led consistently on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2023
Hello,
I was just helping a friend assemble a brand new pc and when we tried to boot it up nothing was happening. It appears there the debug light for the ram is always on. We have tried changing the slots and only using 1 ram stick instead of the 2 and still no luck. Oddly enough after trying to reset the ram the usb ports also seemed to have stopped working. All of the fans including the gpu fans/lights are all running but there is no boot or display to get into bios. I don't fully have the details of his hardware at this moment other than the motherboard being a MSI B550-A Pro, his ram is some sort of ddr4 g-skill ripjaw and his cpu is a ryzen (9?). I have never ran into this kind of issue building my own computers so help is much apricated. If more info is needed, please let me know and i will get it for you.

EDIT:
Specs

CPU - AMD Rysen 9 5900x 3.7 GH
Motherboard - MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2x16) DDR4-3200 CL16
GPU - EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular
Case - Phanteks Esclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower
Storage - Seagate Barracuda 4TB & Samsung Evo Plus 500GB SSD

Last edited:
My first thought is that it could be the BIOS, some B550 boards are shipped as being 'ryzen 3000 series ready.' Did the motherboards box say ryzen 3000 or ryzen 5000 ready? Was the RAM on the motherboards QVL, (compatibility list?) Also, I would of gone with a stronger power supply, 650w is a big ask for a 5900x and a 3070. 650w should run it though.

Feb 1, 2023
My first thought is that it could be the BIOS, some B550 boards are shipped as being 'ryzen 3000 series ready.' Did the motherboards box say ryzen 3000 or ryzen 5000 ready? Was the RAM on the motherboards QVL, (compatibility list?) Also, I would of gone with a stronger power supply, 650w is a big ask for a 5900x and a 3070. 650w should run it though.
It does say it supports it if its running the correct bios (version 7C56vA4 ) and will need to be updated if not already. So that may be the issue. The ram is also on the compatibility list. So lets assume the bios needs to be updated to the correct version, how could i do that if it won't boot? I lack experience with bios.

Quick edit:
Since the USB ports seem to have also stopped working since messing with the ram. May be difficult but will still try, as have not tried the ports with just a flashdrive, only external hardware.

Firstly, is this the motherboard? B550-A PRO (msi.com) As it has the BIOS flash feature, thankfully it makes updating the BIOS that much more easier. But according to this site, to run the 5900x, you need BIOS version 7C56vA7. To flash a BIOS is actually pretty easy BUT if you do get it wrong it can brick your board. There are plenty of videos out there,even ones with your specific motherboard that will show you how to do it. Watch these videos again and again until you are totally familiar with the process and are confident to do it yourself.

Feb 1, 2023
Firstly, is this the motherboard? B550-A PRO (msi.com) As it has the BIOS flash feature, thankfully it makes updating the BIOS that much more easier. But according to this site, to run the 5900x, you need BIOS version 7C56vA7. To flash a BIOS is actually pretty easy BUT if you do get it wrong it can brick your board. There are plenty of videos out there,even ones with your specific motherboard that will show you how to do it. Watch these videos again and again until you are totally familiar with the process and are confident to do it yourself.
Yes that is the board. I will try to watch some videos as it is my friends board and I doubt he got the warranty (If if even covered this) and really don’t want to brick it!

Reactions: kurdtnz
Feb 1, 2023
Did you rename the BIOS root file MSI.ROM?
According to him yes, but i didnt get to double check, due to there currently being a party and drinking was involved. All i currently know for sure is that the bios flash would light up when held down and that was it. I understand this isnt the most helpful, and i apologize! I will most certainly double check the flash-drive personally when i get the chance. But on the off chance he did do it correctly, any other possible causes?

According to him yes, but i didnt get to double check, due to there currently being a party and drinking was involved. All i currently know for sure is that the bios flash would light up when held down and that was it. I understand this isnt the most helpful, and i apologize! I will most certainly double check the flash-drive personally when i get the chance. But on the off chance he did do it correctly, any other possible causes?
No worries. Ive made the same mistake myself,(and it did the exact same thing,) so just wanted to ask. (PS, dont drink and BIOS Flash kids ;) ) There's some great 'how to BIOS Flash MSI boards' videos on youtube by a guy called 'Mikes unboxing.'

Feb 1, 2023
Hello, im back again seeking help for my friends system. We have managed to get it working for the most part. Except now it seems to get blue screened. If needed i can attach the video he had sent me of it happening if it helps, but it is extremely poor quality. I have 0 experience with blue screening, so don't even know where to look first.

CPU - AMD Rysen 9 5900x 3.7 GH
Motherboard - MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2x16) DDR4-3200 CL16
GPU - EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 8GB (USED)
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular
Case - Phanteks Esclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower
Storage - Seagate Barracuda 4TB & Samsung Evo Plus 500GB SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.