[SOLVED] New computer with i7 8700 reaching 94c.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Hi guys. I got a new Dell computer with a GTX 1070 and an i7 8700 CPU. Extremely noticeable difference from my old PC with a GTX 1050. Games run great, but one thing that concerns me is the CPU temperatures. Running a CPU intensive game like GTA V I'm seeing temperatures of 94c in GTA V. Like I said the performance is great, but those CPU temperatures worry me.

My question is, will running the CPU at those high temperature for long periods damage the CPU? I can't afford an aftermarket cooler now, so that's out of the question.

By the way, I'm only noticing 94c in really CPU intensive games like GTA V; not in most games.

Since this is a prebuilt, I assume it uses the stock Intel cooler.

Solution
Dell typically implements their own thermal solution, which usually includes some form of plenum or ducting behind a case intake fan.

You might want to check the fans, as it's possible a connector was overlooked during final assembly. Also, the computer needs to breathe, so it's important that the case is clear of desk enclosures, or any items that may restrict intake or exhaust airflow. You can verify the Core temperatures by cross-checking your thermal observations with other...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Dell typically implements their own thermal solution, which usually includes some form of plenum or ducting behind a case intake fan.

You might want to check the fans, as it's possible a connector was overlooked during final assembly. Also, the computer needs to breathe, so it's important that the case is clear of desk enclosures, or any items that may restrict intake or exhaust airflow. You can verify the Core temperatures by cross-checking your thermal observations with other monitoring utilities:

• Core Temp shows essential values - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp
• Hardware Info shows advanced monitoring details - https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Intel's Tj Max (Thermal Specification) or "Throttle" temperature for the i7 8700 is 100°C. This is the temperature limit at which the processor will decrease speed and voltage to prevent thermal damage, so 94°C is approaching the limit.

For quick reference, here's a link to Intel's Product Specifications website: - Intel® Core™ i7-8700 Processor - https://ark.intel.com/products/126686/Intel-Core-i7-8700-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4-60-GHz-

Although it specifies 65 Watts, under certain circumstances power consumption can be significantly higher, which increases heat.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

94°C is much too high for gaming, as well as stress or thermal tests.

Gaming generally averages around 55°C, yet can range from 40°C to 70°C, depending on how a particular game title allocates CPU / GPU workloads, as well as differences in cooling performance and ambient temperature.

Q - What is your ambient (room) temperature? Normal or "standard" is 22°C or 72°F.

Q - Have you checked to see if there's a later BIOS version? Later versions sometimes include voltage optimizations which can decrease Core temperatures.

Also, keep in mind that unless the installed GTX 1070 is a Founder Edition (FE) with linear cooling which exhausts its heat from the rear of the case, versions with axial cooling can dump and recirculate significant heat within the case. This is why it's crucial that all fans are running.

Although Dell's quality control is typically decent, it's also possible that the thermal compound for the CPU cooler was either incorrectly applied, or completely omitted, or the cooler was not properly secured.

CT :sol:

Solution

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
■ Hmm, well I looked in the computer's case and the fans seem installed fine. As you said, it seems to use a custom dell cooler.

But is there anything I can do to lower the temps, like downclocking the CPU or lowering voltages?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
mike2012,

Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM's) like Dell typically use proprietary BIOS on their motherboards, which is "locked" and won't allow certain settings to be altered, such as Core voltage. You can check your BIOS, but it's not likely that you'll find any such options.

I previously asked if you had checked to see if there's a later BIOS version. Later versions sometimes include voltage optimizations which can decrease Core temperatures. You can check your BIOS version using CPU-Z. Look under the "Mainboard" tab, then go to Dell's website to see if a later version is available.

• CPU-Z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Dell has an update utility for flashing BIOS, so look for it. If there is indeed a later version, and your Core temperatures don't improve following an update, then in order to avoid violating your warranty, I suggest that you find an authorized Dell service provider to address the problem.

I had also previously asked about your ambient room temperature, which can be a HUGE variable, and always needs to be stated right up front. Users write into our Forums from the Arctic Circles to the Equator, so your ambient could be anywhere from 10 to 40°C. If you don't post it and no one asks, then solutions for temperature questions often proceed on false assumption.

If you're living in the Northern hemisphere with the majority of the world's population, then it's likely that your ambient temperature is presently below normal, which is once again, 22°C or 72F. If this is the case, then it's likely that your ambient temperature will be several degrees above normal during warmer seasonal temperatures, since most users don't run their rigs in a year-around controlled environment set to a constant 22°C.

As your Core temperatures are 94°C during a moderate workload such as gaming, and "throttle" temperature is 100°C, there's almost no thermal headroom. What will the Core temperatures be during warmer months ... especially if you were to run a heavy workload such as rendering or encoding, which like others, you may want to do? You might point out this scenario to the service representative.

I seriously doubt that Dell intended for your new computer to operate at or near 100°C. You're about 25°C above typical gaming temperature, which is definitely a problem that needs to be resolved. With respect to the warranty, there's only so much you can do as the end user. And frankly, it's not up to you to troubleshoot and solve this problem; it's Dell's responsibility, or their authorized service provider.

Keep in mind that if you take it upon yourself to upgrade the cooler, you'll void the warranty.

CT :sol:

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Hmm, that's too bad. Well I guess I'll just wing it for right now, until I can afford a PC with better cooling. If for whatever reason it fails I can always go back to my i5 3570k build that runs 65c at load. Next time I'll buy a PC with a mobo that gives me more control over the CPU features.