New Computer with old hard drives

SkyNades

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
So I recently built my new computer, everything was new except I kept my old hard drives. A 1.5Tb, 1tb, and a 500gb hdd. The 500gb one is that one I had my os on. I booted it up and it just resets if I try Windows 10. On Windows 7 it's looking to do a system restore but it's been taking forever. When I boot off the 1Tb it gives me the same options, Windows 7 and 10. But it doesn't work either. When I boot off the 1.5tb it lets on me Windows 7, this was the drive I was supposed to be booting off of on my old pc but I never used it. It wants me to active Windows 7 but when I try to put on the code it won't let me because I'm not connected to the Internet. I have an Ethernet cable plugged into the back of the computer and into my extender, but it won't recognize it. It doesn't show there's anything. I was reading online and it said this might be caused because the drivers aren't updated. I don't know what to, maybe go to a friends house and download the updated drivers on a usb and see if it works? I wanted to just wipe all my drives and start fresh with a new copy of Windows but I don't know if that's the best idea.

Solution
Hi there SkyNades,

As far as I understand, you are trying to boot from some drives, that have OS that has been installed on another computer right?
If this is the case, you can't really expect your computer to boot just fine, as the OS was installed on a computer with completely different hardware.
I believe you will need to perform a clean OS installation. Make sure you back up the data stored on that drive. Also, make sure that just a single drive is attached to the computer, while performing the OS installation.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there SkyNades,

As far as I understand, you are trying to boot from some drives, that have OS that has been installed on another computer right?
If this is the case, you can't really expect your computer to boot just fine, as the OS was installed on a computer with completely different hardware.
I believe you will need to perform a clean OS installation. Make sure you back up the data stored on that drive. Also, make sure that just a single drive is attached to the computer, while performing the OS installation.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution