New computer won't connect to Internet.

Aug 7, 2018
This could be a stupid question but... I bought a computer yesterday dell optilex 755 and had to install windows xp on it. Now it shows local area connection is connected but it won't access the internet. A getaway connection shows as disconnected and won't connect. I have never had this issue and can't find a solution online....any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Solution
If it states there is no gateway that means it can't talk to the router or modem. Check to make sure your IP is correct for your network using the ipconfig command at a DOS prompt. You may need to run some updates on the system also, some network issues can be fixed by a service pack, if you just installed the base XP. You can dowload the SP using another computer since this one is not online.
If it states there is no gateway that means it can't talk to the router or modem. Check to make sure your IP is correct for your network using the ipconfig command at a DOS prompt. You may need to run some updates on the system also, some network issues can be fixed by a service pack, if you just installed the base XP. You can dowload the SP using another computer since this one is not online.

Solution