Question New Computer wont connect to monitor via Display Port, Only HDMI

jschlach

Reputable
Oct 24, 2016
I just purchased a new computer with an AMD Ryzen 7 processor, an AMD radeon RX 580 video card and Windows 10. I currently use a Samsung UE590 28" 4k monitor on my old computer and wanted to connect it to the new computer, along with another montior.

After lots of effort( and sending back the GPU for a replacement), it seems as though my new computer wont connect to the monitor via Display Port, but will through HDMI. Whenever I plug in the monitor to the new computer with DisplayPort, the screen goes black and flashes on and off. When I have a different monitor attached to the new computer and then attach the Samsung monitor, the Samsung monitor flashes on and off and the other monitor loses all its icons and becomes unusable(but doesnt go black).

I am pretty sure its not a hardware issue, since I replaced the GPU and the monitor and cables seem to work with the other computer/monitor. Id like to get the new computer to work with Display Port so that I can attach multiple monitors to it, and I only have one HDMI port.

Thanks for looking and for your help,
Jason

Alatrix

Great
Jul 14, 2020
Hi
Can you tell more about the GPU?
Have you tried reinstalling and/or updating the drivers?
The DisplayPort is newer and better than HDMI, so if HDMI supports the monitor, DP can just do better.

This is what the official AMD website says
Connectivity
DisplayPort1.4 HDR
HDMI™4K60 Support
(I have just had an intresting research on this and so I was courious).

The only other thing (if none of the others work) I can say you is to try a different gpu.

Bye

Last edited:

Alatrix

Great
Jul 14, 2020
I just purchased a new computer with an AMD Ryzen 7 processor, an AMD radeon RX 580 video card and Windows 10. I currently use a Samsung UE590 28" 4k monitor on my old computer and wanted to connect it to the new computer, along with another montior.

After lots of effort( and sending back the GPU for a replacement), it seems as though my new computer wont connect to the monitor via Display Port, but will through HDMI. Whenever I plug in the monitor to the new computer with DisplayPort, the screen goes black and flashes on and off. When I have a different monitor attached to the new computer and then attach the Samsung monitor, the Samsung monitor flashes on and off and the other monitor loses all its icons and becomes unusable(but doesnt go black).

I am pretty sure its not a hardware issue, since I replaced the GPU and the monitor and cables seem to work with the other computer/monitor. Id like to get the new computer to work with Display Port so that I can attach multiple monitors to it, and I only have one HDMI port.

Thanks for looking and for your help,
Jason
Are you alive?