New computer wont detect monitor when gpu is connected. Works fine with onboard gpu

DudE132

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I just installed a new psu, gpu, motherboard, and cpu but have an issue with my monitor. When my gpu is plugged in, my monitor will not detect my computer no matter what I try. I have also tried using my old gpu, different slots on my mobo, different cables, another monitor but no luck. If I unplug my gpu and use my motherboards onboard gpu, my monitor is detected and everything works fine. I've tried disabling the onboard gpu in bios but it doesn't help. I have absolutely no idea what is causing this and may end up going to an expert to pinpoint the issue. Anyone have any idea what is the cause? I'm hoping nothing is faulty but I can't figure this out. I have an Asus z97-A mobo, gtx 970, i5 4960k, and corsair hx 750 psu all newly installed

DudE132

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I was considering that but I will need to install a new windows on my hdd/motherboard and don't want to do this until I know the mobo isn't faulty since I'll be installing an OEM windows 7 which will be locked onto the mobo. I don't want o find out the mobo is the problem and have to deal with the hassle of getting a new windows 7 key. When the gpu is connected on the mobo nothing lights up on the board signifying an error so I it doesn't seem to be the board is the issue right? Is installing windows then installing drivers my best option?

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014

It doesn't seem like a faulty motherboard. If your GPU powering on at all? Fans are spinning?

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014

These problems are usually because of more than 1 display output. I had a similar problem when installing my 7950 along with my old A8-5500 apu. I don't remember exactly how I fixed it. I think I changed some settings in the BIOS, to tell it that the external GPU is the master GPU.

In the BIOS, go to Primary Display Settings, and make sure IPGPU and Multi Monitor Display are set ON. This should allow both GPU's to be displayed at the same time (for multiple monitor setups). If this fixes it, that means no component is faulty. Try it out and keep me updated.

DudE132

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I put multi monitor display on and now the monitor is detected with my gpu connected. I'll now work on installing windows 7 and drivers and report back later with results. Hopefully everything goes smoothly. Thank you so much for the help.

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014

No problem. Good luck ;)
Consider picking answer if everything works out, so others don't need to worry.

DudE132

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I now have a new issue. I installed windows 7 and had some errors and needed to restart the install. It is installed now but my PC crashes anytime I try to install or download anything. Be it windows updates or software. I also had a blue screen when trying to download the windows updates. Something must have gotten corrupted during the windows install.

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014

It seems like you have installed Windows 7 incorrectly. The best thing to do is completely format you hard drive/s and run a fresh installation of Windows 7. I would recommend installing Windows 8 instead, if you can.

DudE132

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Ive done 2 formats and fresh installs of windows and both times I get the same results. During the install, I get various exe errors and errors sometimes stating that the install failed and needs to be restarted. When I reboot though windows 7 loads up. Then just simply trying to load the control panel will either take a long time to load, freeze my PC, or give me an explorer.exe error. I can't install or download anything without freezes either. I am using a windows 7 copy legally downloaded and burned to a cd so perhaps something isn't downloading properly. Right now its either my windows 7 cd or my hard drive that is the issue. Maybe 5 months ago I did a short drive self test or whatever it is called for my hdd and it failed the test. I never had issues with the drive so just ignored the test results. Maybe my hdd is the problem?

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014

It might be a hard drive related issue

DudE132

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I re downloaded windows 7 and burned it onto another disk in case the first one didn't burn correctly and still ran into the same issues. I think i'll be getting a new hard drive next. The failed hdd test is what I keep thinking back to.

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014

I hope it's not an SSD. Good luck with that.