New computer wont power Cd\dvd drive or Hard drives but everything else tur ns on.

Kugu

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
I recently bought and hooked up a new computer buying all my parts from new egg. It boots up the bios screen but then dosent seem to recognize or power up my Hard drives or my CD/dvd drive.

The hard drive is new but it wont power on the old one either and the cd dvd drive was happily working the other day. ive tried using my old power supply (550w new one is 750w) and had no luck there either. The power supply will turn on my grapics card fans though. None of stuff has visible Master or slave jumpers so Im doubting thats it? any ideas?

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
try organizing your HDDs in order from primary drive to Optical drive on the Motherboard, though mundane sounding this has been much the case for me in the past.

you may need a BIOS update as well, curious, what Motherboard do you have?

Kugu

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
My motherboard is this one.
http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16813138380

This is the power supply im working with both are brand new http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16817182133

And im not quite sure I understand what you mean. I only have one hard drive plugged in I just had the other to see if it worked and one cd drive both only have the option for a sata cord and ... Excuse my ignorance on the name here but it looks to be a longer mouthed sata cord with multiple plugs along the cord. Ive tried all the ports from that cord on the cd dvd drive with no luck. and ive tried different sata cords

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
that would be a PATA cable, aka Ribbon cable, ancient tech that is. you may have to enter the BIOS and change the settings for IDE, i'm unsure of what you will see but there should be a boot option for to enable IDE/PATA or Parallel ATA, this should fix the problem right away.

Kugu

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
The other cable is definitely not PATA after looking at them The sata cable goes from my motherboard to the drive and then the other plug comes straight from the power supply. The cord dosent have pins or pin holes like the pata cords do, it literally looks like a sata cord and comes from the black plug in on my power supply that says Sata. but its slightly bigger. Thanks for the help btw. Anything at all is giving me hope haha.

Kugu

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
This seems more likely to be the case Y0GI. I've tried two different sets and neither will power the device and out of the 6 sata cables none seem to work either.

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
hmm, you do have the PSU SATA power connected along side the SATA DATA connectors right? the drive should have two connections one for power and one for DATA, the data is the smaller one that plugs into the Motherboard, and the larger one comes from the PSU.

...is this your first build?

Kugu

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Its definitely plugged all the way in as best as I see. Had two others check my connections first hand. This is my first build.

Ill check the chipset link but how does one install something like that in my situation?

Ill check the chipset link but how does one install something like that in my situation?

It's been a while since I used it but after you run the utility, it presents you with a report on your PC's driver status and recommended updates in the form of links to files that you D/L and install. Pretty simple and straightforward really. It's just a slow process so give it time.

Yogi

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Yogi, please take a moment to read OP's initial post, as your suggestion is null because of his problem.

mind sharing a few photo's of the computer? i'm more visually based with problems.

Gerome_2

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017
Might be a few years late but I'm having this problem, I am able to reach the bios, video card seems fine but uefi she'll comes up meaning no media boot, my cd rom and hdd are not receiving any power and I find this extremely odd, could they have both gone dead at the same time?

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
It is possible the ports were disabled in the BIOS, i usually have this issue when i reset the BIOS after a failed OC'ing. In your first time setup you should always enter the BIOS and then go ahead and "Apply Optimized Defaults" this is usually after hitting F10 one of the available options.

Now that i think of it, this could very well have been the OP's very issue... I hope this helps you resolve the issue...

You can always go through and manually enable the SATA ports, you just gotta be careful of what you tinker with, and always check and double check the options you are editing, do not change any settings unless you are certain to what it does, use another device to google search each option until you have a better understanding. NOTE: Not all BIOS manufacturers use the same unified definitions or abbreviations, so one must take into account reasonable deductive reasoning, meaning, if the definition speaks about RAM, and you're in the SATA configuration, it clearly isn't the correct definition.

TRENDING THREADS