New Computer Won't Recognize Windows 7 CD

Victoriousness

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
I just assembled my very first computer, and I'm super excited to start using it, but unfortunately, it won't recognize my Windows 7 installation CD. It prompts me to insert boot disk and press any key, but when I put my CD into the drive and press any key, it doesn't recognize that it's right there in the drive. I've tried going into the BIOS and changing the boot options from my HD to my DVD-ROM, but it hasn't worked.

Also, I've tried switching the HD from IDE to ACHI, but that doesn't do anything either.

What could be the problem? The BIOS seems to recognize all my hardware.

Victoriousness

Distinguished
May 14, 2011

Yea, I've been saving the settings.

I think the problem is that I'm not using an actual windows 7 disk. I have an original, working key, but my friend had to burn me a copy of windows 7.

Tell me something. I have a computer running windows xp right now. If I put the CD into that computer while windows is running, would you expect that an install screen would come up? Because right now, the only thing that comes up is a folder showing me the contents of the CD. Does this mean my friend burned it as a data CD instead of an image?

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
hmmm, i burned a copy of windows 7 (because i had already bought the product key) too, and it worked a charm, if it comes up to the point where it says press any key, and you press anykey, how long did you wait before restarting? sometimes it could take 3~mins to come up with the loading bar. (the grey one).

Victoriousness

Distinguished
May 14, 2011

Yea, you're right. I'm sorry, guys. I feel extra stupid for this one. I took the file and burned my own DVD, which is now working. Thanks for all your replies.