Greetings,
I recently purchased and put together a new computer. My parts are:

Case: Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Harddrives were from the old PC. First night, we got everything hooked up and the computer ran for ~ 1 day and then shut off in the middle of watching a stream and would not come back on. Since then, we have started a series of troubleshooting. The basics are this: We cannot get the computer to power on if the hard drive(s), motherboard or CDrom plugged in. If we have just the motherboard, CPU and ram plugged in, we can get the computer to power up and go into BIOS. If we try adding anything else (individually or together, i.e., if we plug in the cd rom or if we plug in the hard drive or a video card), it will not power up. We have tried a new power supply (brand new 850w that a friend had but hadn't used yet) and a new motherboard (ASUS Z97-Pro Wi-Fi LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard). The problem is the same.

At this point, we have tried multiple hard drives (we have 3, one an SSD), multiple graphics cards (the brand new and the old one), multiple motherboards and multiple power supplies. I am at a loss here. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Currently the computer is sitting in the other room with the 850W power supply and the Asus motherboard in it.

Thanks in advance,
AH

zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I know this sounds pretty simple, but it is the first thing that came to mind...

Are you plugging the computer directly into the wall or are you using a power strip? If the power strip is faulty for some reason, it might not be able to supply the power to the power supply. Try plugging the computer into the wall.

amh0598

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Sorted it out, finally.

It turns out that the original power supply was faulty and likely shorted out the original motherboard and graphics card.
Once we got the new parts, there was a connection between the case power and the new motherboard that was loose and causing a short. Once we unplugged the case power, we could get all peripherals to work. So then we redid all the case/motherboard connections and everything is working fine.

Thank you for your feedback. Zepfan, your first answer was right, maybe it was the case (even though it didn't seem to make sense!). It actually came down to the fact that we only hadn't tested 2 things, CPU and the case. The CPU was obviously working or else we wouldn't have gotten as far as we did. So that left the case to try.