New compy or 24" lcd?

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
I have enough money to do either of the following:

Upgrade my current computer from:

Gigabyte K8ns pro mobo
AMD 64 3200+ socket 754 (doesn't support dual channel ram)
2x 512 mb geil pc3200 ram
ATI x700 256 mb video card (agp)
Audigy LS sound card

To:

Mobo that supports amd 64 socket 939
amd 64 socket 939
2x 1gb ram (2gb total) pc3200
possibly either high end ati card or 2x nvidia geforce 7800 SLI cards
maybe even a newer sound card

OR SHOULD I SPEND THE MONEY ON:

A Dell 24" widescreen LCD? I currently have a 21" CRT silicon graphics monitor (and it is a very nice monitor but am intersted in upgrading to a compy that has widescreen capability, plus i'd use the monitor for a tv as well replacing my old 27" tv in my bedroom).

Compromise:

Get a large graphics performance boost by jumping from an X700 up to a 6800GS or X800 GTO, ....AND get a 20.1" LCD/1600x1200 for $502 from Dell....; the 24" 2405 is still a littel pricey unless you can find it on sale for $865 or so...

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
honestly i would go straight for the Dell 24" monitor if i have that kind of upgrade funds

although many people dont agree that widescreen is the ideal game playing res, i am someone who really loves playing games on my widescreen 15.4" laptop.

its really REALLY one hell of a ride =]

THe problem is that 3d gaming with a widescreen in it's native resolution (1600x1024?) is going to be near impossible with an X700...., Quake2 excluded.

If 3d gaming is a factor, I'd update the video card first....

longbloke

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
mmnn - tough one. I guess it depends on why you really want the monitor.

If it's mainly for watching movies then hey go for it - but if it's for gaming then bear in mind you're not going to be able to game at the native resolution of 1920 x 1200 with your current setup. It's worth bearing this in mind as gaming at a low res on such a big monitor is a pretty horrible experience.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Compromise:

Get a large graphics performance boost by jumping from an X700 up to a 6800GS or X800 GTO, ....AND get a 20.1" LCD/1600x1200 for $502 from Dell....; the 24" 2405 is still a littel pricey unless you can find it on sale for $865 or so...

I like that idea! Do you really need a 24" monitor for something in particular? Bigger isn't always better....

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
That was my main concern, that I wouldn't be able to run 1900x1200 very well. I think I would rather have all the bells and whistles on, so I think I will hold off on the monitor and go with a new computer. Plus I have a nice 21" crt so I really can't complain. Thanks for all the feedback. Now, will it be a huge differance running 2 SLI cards as opposed to the x700 video card I now have? I don't know alot about the SLI configuration but i'm guessing it should be a huge differance! I can currently put things on 2x anti-alis and turn up some of the effects in games. I'm hoping this new config will let me run games on a very high video setting (wanna be ready for Oblivion!).

Herr_Fritz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah, I would have to say the same thing, upgrade the computer now, and then start saving for a new monitor. Having to 'settle' on using a 21" CRT for a little longer should be no sweat, and with a new comp, you can turn on all the candy you want.

BTW Bethesda has released minimum and recommended system specs for Oblivion on the elder scrolls site. Might help in some of your hardware decisions.

Be sure to let us know what you decide to get, so we can drool too.

Fritz

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Well, definitely would ugrade the pc first before the LCD. I mean what's the point of having a 24" wide screen LCD with a lower performance pc?

Hear me:

24" Wide Screen with lower performance pc. You won't be able to achieve higher resolution with your current graphics card. Means that the jagged edges and the aliasing in the game would be a lot visible. So basically what Im saying is that the bigger LCD your are using the more powerful graphics card your gonna need to achieve same image quality as of a 15" monitor. Now with your option A as ugrading the system would be a lot better, you would be able to play BF2 and FEAR at 1280x1024 with great performance and quality. You won't be dissapointed and besides you could always get that 24" wide screen lcd later.

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Screw it. Get a DLP projector if you want to go REALLY big. I played some medeival total war projected on my wall (120") and the soldiers were over a foot tall. I'm just playing. Projectors are really expensive and limited to 1024x768 res so while it would make for an interesting gaming experience, it would be the best. Bigger is not better I guess. Another experience I had was with a 32" HDTV widescreen monitor. It really wasnt that bad man. i paid $679 for it and it was pretty sweet. But i was limited to 1024x768 (I was using a 9800 Pro so it wasnt like I could go much higher) and it was not easy to get all programs to work perfectly on wide screen. Not to mention the TV was pretty big and kinda hot. It sounds lke you are pretty much sold on the 24" LCD so why not just get it? You can always get a newer computer and be just fine.

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
Yep with the monitor I'm going to need the hardware to push it. So time to upgrade the computer. I appreciate the feedback!

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
YO rashod0

i have a 21" crt as well and im looking at the 24" dell
most people seem to like it only a few dont
im just waiting 4 my hitachi to quit on me b4 i decide to get a lcd but so far nothing i see is better than the 1 i own so im not in a hurry

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Yer makin a mistake. You sit and stare at your computer all day but will not even notice a faster computer one little bit. That computer is already pretty quick. a 24" LCD is SO much bigger than a 21 CRT.... Imagine two web sites upen full and PIP in the corner along with MP3 player and still see your desktop icons... very nice. Oh, and gaming in widescreen is like watching a movie in the theatre vs your 30" TV at home.

I've got a 6600GT and The Dell 24" and game JUST fine. Sure not the very latest games on highest settings but medium settings are just fine. The monitor is SWEET, picture-in-picture is a feature I didn't think I'd use but it's great to watch TV and compute at the same time. Or watch TV on the monitor when computer is off.

My advice, go for the monotor and then upgrade to 7800GT card for about $200 in a couple months after the new 7900 models come out.

You'll be disappointed with how little you notice a new computer upgrade.