Question New cool quiet dual-boot build for animation and video, need help editing my parts, will they all fit, which SSD is best?

The Worker

Commendable
May 21, 2020
Here are the parts I have picked out for the new build:

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor

Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler

Asus PRIME B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

Corsair MP600 PRO XT 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (2 of these for dual-booting, one for each OS))

Asus GeForce RTX 3070 LHR 8 GB Noctua OC Video Card

be quiet! Silent Base 802 ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair CX650M 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Is there anything in here that could be improved? Will the Noctua CPU cooler fit? Will it cover up any memory card area?
What is the best SSD? Is Corsair reliable? I intend to dual-boot Windows 7 and Linux Mint, is there going to be any problem?
Will I need a brace for the GPU?
I need a few more fans; should I install them at the top of the case? What fans would be best?

Thank you for any advice!

Reactions: Why_Me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Only thing I see that 'needs' changing would be the psu. That thing is a Hard No for your pc.
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P5 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Any other changes would be due to budget or taste, the build as is is fine.
With 32Gb of ram, you wouldn't necessarily need dual boot function, you could simply start a Virtual Machine (VM) and boot that with a second OS, so both OS would be running simultaneously, best done with 2 monitors. Unless the programs used require a lot of ram and most of the cpu/gpu to run.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Worker

The Worker

Commendable
May 21, 2020
@Why_Me Thanks for the advice! How is the MSI TOMAHAWK a better motherboard choice? I was wondering if I needed a better motherboard, but I am not sure what features need to be there. I am very new to PC building, and I appreciate any details you can share.

Reactions: Why_Me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you for your advice! Please tell me why the EVGA psu is better! I am new to PC building, and would like to better understand what I doing! :)
To explain how it's better would take pages. But basically its going from @ 84% efficiency to 94% efficiency which means @ 60-100ish watts of power not converted from electric to heat. It also has far better protections, is built better, lasts longer, has a better warranty.

Your choice was a base model Ford Taurus, my choice was a Mercedes S class.

Understand that the psu is literally the Heart of a pc, it has direct connections to everything, powers everything. Given the choice, how healthy would you like your heart to be? How important is a healthy heart to you? Your pc feels the same way.