Question New cooler, no fans working, no power-up, only motherboard RGB lights are lit ?

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
Not sure how to proceed. Wanted to change out the stock ryzen cooler with a Thermalright Phantom 120 and now the power button won't start the pc. All that was changed was the cooler. Lights on the MB are on, but no fans are operating.

Suggestions.

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
Try re-checking all the cables. A common issue after upgrades to the PC. Make sure they all are plugged in properly, and re-plug them to ensure.

Next try reseating other components. Check if the fan is connected to the header, reseat the RAM, etc.

Keep me posted!

Reactions: drjohnnyfever

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
Thanks.

I took the cooler off and checked that and the cpu. The cpu was seated properly and the cooler was attached too it. The fan of the new cooler was attached to the same connection that the old cooler was. What I'm uncertain of is that the rgb's of the MB are lit, but the case fan, which remained the same is not spinning.

Would reseating the RAM help that? Literally nothing was changed other than the cooler.

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
Still no luck. No fans or power up.

Reseated the RAM, checked all the MB connections and all are on and seated. Tried the MB power button after forgetting it last night and no luck on that either.

The CPU came out attached to the old cooler, the AMD stock cooler. Removed it, cleaned it, and reapplied thermal paste before putting the new cooler on. It was difficult, because once the thermal paste was on it became like glue and I had to redo it once because I couldn't line up the mounting screws up to the bracket correctly for them to bite when tightening the first time. So I cleaned it up again and redid the process getting it correct the second time.

Not sure where to go from here other than to reinstall the old cooler and reexamine and clean the cpu of the thermal paste again.

Any suggestions?

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
Ryzen 5 3600
32gb Corsair vengence - 4 slots used 8gb each.
Asus x570 Pro MB
shyronna rx580 8gb gpu
ae-5 soundblaster
seasonic gx550 psu
samsung 960 2tb
12 tb WD HDD
thermalright phantom 120 - system not running since install yesterday.

system is used mainly for web and serving 12hdd to other pc in the house. Never an issue before changing the cooler from the stock amd unit other than occassionally running a little hot - upper 80'sC which was the reason for the change in cooler.

thermalright phantom 120 - system not running since install yesterday.
Which model cooler?
Phantom spirit 120 SE​
Phantom spirit 120 SE ARGB​
Phantom spirit 120 EVO​
If it is ARGB model, disconnect aRGB cable from motherboard.
RGB headers on motherboard are 12V.
Fans on your cpu cooler require 5V ARGB headers.

You probably have killed aRGB on your cpu cooler, if you connected it and turned on your pc.

Last edited:

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
120 se. No argb other than that present on the MB and that is lit, but no fans, including the case fans are operating. The MB is lit, but does nothing when either the case power is pressed or the MB power button pressed.

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
This is now solved and by the dope that created the problem.:ROFLMAO:

It was strange to me that the CPU was loose when sitting in the socket. It came out attached to the old fan, so I removed it, cleaned it, set it back in the socket, and went about installing the new cooler. From there, there was no action as described in previous posts.

So I'm sure you can tell what I neglected to do in my haste, but I hadn't figured it out, although, I figured it was something simple, given the performance of the machine before my attempted improvement.

So I proceeded to remove all the the RAM, the sound card, wifi card, disconnect and reconnect MB and CPU power and so on. Still nothing. No fans, no post, only the MB rgb's lit. My only choice was to remove the cooler again. So I did and again, the cpu was stuck to the cooler. I had never had a cpu come out still attached to a cooler and yet this was the third time. Light bulb....

I never released the tension bar of the CPU seat on the MB before replacing the cpu. I just laid it in the socket. So I lifted the tension bar, seated the CPU, torqued the tension bar back down and Voila! the CPU was seated correctly, the cooler was installed, all the peripherals replaced, and I'm back up and running.

My 3 day excursion to the Land of Dumb has concluded. ;)

-15C drop in temp using the new TR Phantom Spirit 120 SE over the AMD stock cooler that came with the chip that I've been running for the 3 years since building this PC. Quite happy with that. 92C to 77C using CPU-Z stress test.