New Core i7 build - Help

alluri

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Hey guys,
Building core i7 for multitasking purposes (Photoshop, lots of applications at the same time) purely home - office like PC – also music, movies browsing, lots of downloading, applications install and reinstall.
Won’t be gaming
I thought of i5 – 760 before but now changed my mind to go for i7 for Hyper T.
Now wondering if u guys can let me know which parts to pick up for a good i7 build (budget built)
I will be mostly picking parts from MSY, (I’m in Australia) sadly no Newegg like website here. But MSY is ok
Below is the parts link in PDF format for guys who have a bit of time to go through.
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/msy.htm (have to click on “best parts price list “). If any parts you think will be cheaper and better
I can get from other stores, I will browse around.
Things I don’t need are – Mouse/keyboard, Screen (1920*1080 BenQ), have 1TB external drive (WD Elite), Windows OS, DVD player.
Main thing I need help with are:
Mo-Bo, Chipset (i7 930 or 950) and GPU (1 GB)
RAM can be 4 GB and later I can add some more – mostly looking for parts like I cannot change –
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
For what you're doing you won't see alot of benefit of Hyper Threading. I can say with certainty that even an i3 would suffice for your needs.

If you really think about it, what you really need is lots of storage for the music and movies/lots of downloading.

If you're deadset on an i7 build I can put on together for you, whats your budget?

alluri

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
its mostly i work on different applications and integration and swapping between them - its only at nights i download - so its mainly applications - also planning to run two windows operating systems -

budget is - thats trickey actually - i dont want to rush it - i thought 1200$ - and i can put some extra bucks like 200 - 300 $ for additional RAM or such -

can you build anything within 1200 to 1300 $$$.

wont be doing crossfire/sli -

let me know if you need anything other info

alluri

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010

Ya no problem dude- that's a gud place to get cheap items - they have 0% time for customers. We have to check the list and he will get u the items.
I can also cruise around sydney to find any parts I don't have in the list.
I have a day off today - planning to get at least some parts

cmcghee358

Distinguished
CPU: i7-950 $338
Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R $246
Memory: 6GB DDR3-1600 G.SKILL $164
Graphics Card: Powercolor 5450 512MB $45
HDD: WD SATA 500GB $47
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 $145
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W $102

I think thats all you need. If I forgot something lemmie know, I think newegg.com has spoiled me on their search function

The total of this build comes to:
$1091AUS

Also you won't need a 1 GB Gfx card if you're not gaming, the 5450 with 512MB is plenty!

alluri

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
thnx Bro,
i did build something before - mind taking a look at it

Thought of Asus P6X58D-E Mother Board - $262 *** but will go for Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R $246 (what are the differences we are looking at )
1 Intel Core i7-950 - $348 (I got this one today – it was 10$ cheaper)
1 GB ATI Radeon Chipset 5770 A SUS - $182 ( aagh! I did see difference having 1GB, but I’ll think about it )
Memory: 6GB DDR3-1600 G.SKILL $164 – as u advised – no change

Coolermaster SGC2000 Storm Scout Case - $118 – ( may be I’m too attracted to lights and all black inside – any big advantages for HAF 922 - )

Coolermaster Universal Hyper 212+ Cooler - $35
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W

Since my first build – couple of questions:
• I don’t need additional FANS or cooling right?
• And could you point me strong points while building (while connecting stuff) so I don’t screw up.
• And am I missing any parts here

cmcghee358

Distinguished
In your situation the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R is exactly what you need. More importantly it doesn't have a ton of extra crap that you don't need that makes it more expensive.

It has ample USB 2.0 as well as 3.0 ports. It supports SATA II and III for 3/Gbs and 6/Gbs respectively.

If you've already purchased the 5770 it's no big deal, it's just more power than you'll need. But hey maybe you'll get into a game or 2.

The Cooler Master HAF 922 is one of, if not the best case for cooling anywhere near the $150 price point. It has red LED fans. But even the Storm Scout case is awesome, and I agree, a black interior just looks clean and nice.

As for the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, its completely not necessary unless you plan to overclock, as your i7-950 should have come with a stock heatsink fan.

Since your build is so low key and non-taxing on the components, the case fans of any Cooler Master should be ample to keep it cool.

Check this link for a step by step on how to build a current generation computer.

From what I can tell, all you're missing now is a hard drive.

alluri

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Great,thnx Bro !

Regarding hard disks im taking Samsung 1TB - will purchase SSD in christmas time - i will have offers at Christmas time --- hopefully

I only got i7 950 so far - and yes has a stock fan - so as u said i think i can skip the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ - as i would'nt be doin OC or Gaming.

Greatly appreciate u sending me the link to custome build Bro- ur a leagnd
Think im going to go for Cooler Master HAF 922 - its all steel inside but think i have an option to hide all the cables at the back of Mo-Bo and case is closed so would'nt worry about black inside - we'll see depends on what they have right now -

What do u think of GPU - ASUS HD 5570 1GB 128-bit - as i can save 100$ by going for thins one (can use $$$ for RAM)- will that be enough in the picture quality for movies - image editing - general screen resolution - because i wont be doing gamig -

lol and yes im FAN of games 2 - but switched to Xbox a year ago - and paid alreadly for MW11 Blackops Prestige edition - cant wait. (only game i play).

So Finally this would be my build :

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R- $248
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641&cm_re=Asus_P6X58D-E-_-13-131-641-_-Product
SAMSUNG Spin point F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $69

1 Intel Core i7-950 - $344 ( already got this one )

1 GB 5570 ASUS (Would there be a lot of difference though in different companies like,
and how much difference i'm looking at downgrading to this one from 5770
the options I have are below

-----1GB 5570 Powercolor $89/ HIS $91 / Gigabyte $97 / Asus $101 ( or should I go for Gigabyte – as I have the same company Mo-Bo ) ------

RAM - G.Skill-NQ 6G Kit ddr3 1600 - $179 ( im a bit confused about this 1333/1600/2000 – what do u think I should get ??)

Coolermaster HAF 922 Case - $145

Seasonic S12-II 520 W Power Supply - $99

I think I have all the parts now – nothing else is required right ?

Parts I have are:
Mouse / keyboard / Screen (BenQ E2200 HD 1920 X 1080)

cmcghee358

Distinguished
The 5570 is fine if it fits in your budget.

As long as its a 5000 series card and you can afford it, it's perfect. Also the only brand thats questionable is Powercolor I think for GPUs

Nice job on the Seasonic PSU, they are a top-tier brand

Looks like you are still missing a DVD drive?

The RAM you've selected is perfectly fine.

alluri

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Ok so i will go for the above -
thinking of Blueray read/write drive - but i dont need it very much right now.
SATA Blu-Ray Combo Samsung - $69.
Looking for good deal where i can find Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit -

so rest is done - approximately purchase date would be Next saturday (16 Oct 2010). If anything changes it has to be done before then - but 99% sure i will stick to the same config ---

Thank you for ur help and support man - appreciate ur advise and time -