Question New Corsair 128Gb 3600 RAM - No warranty for you !

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
I've got 4 sticks of Corsair ram in my 9900k machine. Bought new, cost $700, will absolutely NOT run at 'advertised speeds'.

Corsair's warranty process dictates that you rip the machine apart (two radiators need to come out), put one stick of their RAM in at one time and run memtest86 (takes 9 hours to do each stick) at pure stock 2.1kmhz speeds.

I sent them a passing memtest report with all 4 sticks that had run over the weekend at 3333mhz, but that's not good enough for them, they want each individual stick and at greatly reduced speeds.

I've already agreed that they will do 2.1k mhz. They do not error up to 3333mhz, but they will NOT perform as advertised of 3600mhz.

I've looked at the report this 9 hour memtest generates. We are learning NOTHING more than we already knew.

I'm pretty frustrated with Corsair for wasting my time. This is a work machine and has network shares on it. Big problem for it to be down 4 days. They don't care.

I will NOT be buying Corsair again. They don't stand behind their warranty and the process sux.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
Were all 4 sticks from the same matched kit?
If not, that may be the issue.
What is the make/model of your ram kit?

Since this pc is essential, you should be able to arrange a RMA exchange.
You give them a credit card to pay for the replacement ram.
When you return the supposedly defective ram, the charge is cancelled.
If you do not return the old ram, your card is charged.

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Mboard is an Asus Maximus XI Hero.
PCSR is a 9900k
sticks are CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model CMW128GX4M4D3600C18

PC is a CAD station (so I can't do any work either) serving files because we exceeded the space the server had and are waiting on backordered parts to upgrade it.

I tried to do an RMA exchange w/ them holding a CC, they REFUSED. They will not help me with speeds, timings, settings whatsoever until I perform 4 days of testing their ram as individual sticks at 2.1kmhz.

When I initially contacted them it was to get some help w/ settings to get the ram to run at advertised speeds. They have REFUSED to help in any way whatsoever until their 4 days of testing is done.

I have looked at this 'report' there is little information there other than it passed a bunch of tests. There's no deep dive into the ram telling them anything they haven't been told already.

Seems like this is where buying another set of ram and then selling off or giving the existing ram to a PC shop to handle would be the least painful route. You're in a lose-lose situation essentially as you're going to lose something--time or money. And all you can do is pick the least loss.

Reactions: MonsterMaxx

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
This is quite the saga. It's hard to believe that Corsair is behaving like this. I suspect that in my next build I won't be using any Corsair products.

To recap:
The forced me to run memtest86 on all 4 sticks individually at 2400mhz, when they were obviously fine. On 128GB at slow mem clocks this wasted 4 days of time.
They have refused my request at assistance with voltage and other settings.
Then then charged me thru paypal (not a hold, but a charge) for $700 for an advanced replacement. 15 days ago!
Yesterday the package showed up and it was totally mangled.
I informed Corsair and they don't care, first they wanted me to start memtesting this damaged in transit ram and see if it's OK. Now they agree to take it back if I'm willing to ship it to them. Why are they making me do this when it's their carrier they should be calling.

I am beyond frustrated with Corsair, I just can't believe the way they are treating a customer who has bought thousands and thousands of dollars of their products over the years. NO MORE!

What good will the warranty do when you get another identical product?

The issue to me is clearly a platform/compatibility issue. The ram is tested to work at that frequency at the factory, it's just that it cannot do that frequency in your computer.

Just recently I had a 3000mhz g.skill kit. It would not run stable at 3000mhz in the computer I was trying it in.

Put it in another computer, ran 3000mhz perfectly fine.

Memory controllers vary cpu, bios versions, etc. I would say this is much more likely than the ram which would be known to do 3600mhz at the factory. Remember, 3600mhz over 4 sticks is much more difficult for a system to run than 2 sticks.

You are wasting your time and getting yourself all worked up over a company not allowing you warranty a product which is very most likely not the issue.

Last edited:
When you buy RAM you buy the RAM on your motherboard QVL and the RAM motherboard compatibility list that have been tested at the advertised speed using XMP.

I replaced a lot of stuff from Corsair and they always replaced the part without any issues.

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
The saga continues...

Corsair LIED to American Express and they stole $700 from me. I have proof that the mangled ram was returned to Corsair, no one cares. Amex can't/won't do anything about it.

So I got junk ram that won't run, I have been charged $700 by Corsair for RAM they won't deliver.

Totally screwed by Corsair. Will never buy from them again. Buyer Beware!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair, like any other company, is basically forbidden to tell you to change voltages etc to what is considered out of spec. Generally, when using that amount of ram, with 4 sticks, you'll need to bump the memory controller voltage in the cpu or overclock. Corsair isn't about to tell you that, it's essentially the same as you going to a gas station and the person behind the counter tells you to go across the street because it's cheaper or better gas.

They don't know your pc, and aren't going to tell you to make such changes, as that puts them on the hook for any potential damages that can include replacing your cpu and or motherboard if you fry something at their direction which might have voided any other manufacturers warranty.

You make assumptions and expect others to live upto that. Doesn't work that way. To take NightHawkRMX example, some bios on some motherboards do not contain the ram tables for 3000MHz ram. You can put that ram in there but you'll never get 3000MHz to run stable. Only 2933MHz as it's a 133MHz derivitive for the multiplier. He put it in a different pc and worked as advertised.

3600MHz is (OC). It's not a default ram speed. So there may be things in your Particular setup you must do manually to get the ram to work. It could be your bios is set for 266 only, not 200/266, could be the memory controller voltage, could be the ram needs 1.38v for that particular setting. That's all part of what (OC) means. It's capable, not automatic nor guaranteed.

The saga continues...

Corsair LIED to American Express and they stole $700 from me. I have proof that the mangled ram was returned to Corsair, no one cares. Amex can't/won't do anything about it.

So I got junk ram that won't run, I have been charged $700 by Corsair for RAM they won't deliver.

Totally screwed by Corsair. Will never buy from them again. Buyer Beware!
Strange. Did you have receipts for proof of shipment and proof of delivery? Are you sure this is the real corsair and not some fraudster? This is bananas!