[SOLVED] new corsair fan super loud, how do I fix this?

mcr1324

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
Hey, I just installed a new fan in my case, a corsair fan, it's like super loud it's really weird..I've never bothered messing around with the fan speeds or anything like that, it's never bothered me or been noticeable..this fan was like 30 bucks too I guess it works a little too good lol..is there a way for me to set the fan speed on this thing to make it a lot quieter and not work in hyper speed the whole time..my computer is like quiet and then I install a new fan and this <Mod Edit> is so loud it's nuts..I have a B450 Aorus Gigabyte motherboard, I tried going in there and messing with the fan speed I don't know if I didn't do it right or what but it didn't make a difference..any help would be much appreciated..thanks..how does one change the fan speed on this thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Do you have a 4 prong place to connect the cable?

Yes or no.

3 prong won't do.

Normally....you'd connect 3 pin fans to 3 prong connectors.

And 4 pin fans to 4 prong connectors.

Do that and retry what you did in Smart Fan.
I have a B450 Aorus Gigabyte motherboard, I tried going in there and messing with the fan speed I don't know if I didn't do it right or what

Going in there and doing what exactly?

Did you in fact find an area in the BIOS that seemingly will allow you to set fan speeds?

Or not?

What model number Corsair fan? At 30 bucks, I would guess it is a controllable 4 pin PWM fan, but you need to confirm that.

mcr1324

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
I saw a vid on youtube where they said to go into the Smart Fan 5 thing and I tried doing that and setting like a manual curve on it, it didn't change anything..I'm not sure if there is another way to do it in the bios or not, I just went to the Smart Fan 5 settings in there..yeah it's a four pin fan, I plugged it into a 3 prong or whatevs, I don't know if that makes a difference or not..the model of the corsair fan is a ML120pro..this is the only 4 pin fan I have plugged in I don't know if that matters or not, the rest are all 3 pin and they work fine, it's just this new one that is loud af

mcr1324

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
Do you have a 4 prong place to connect the cable?

Yes or no.

3 prong won't do.

Normally....you'd connect 3 pin fans to 3 prong connectors.

And 4 pin fans to 4 prong connectors.

Do that and retry what you did in Smart Fan.

Yeah I have a 4 pin fan connected to a 3 pin header or whatevs you call it..okay so then I need to find a 4 pin somewhere on the board and connect it there and it should work better? I have like a fan splitter thing where I connect all my fans to, but it's only for 3 pin fans so I guess I need to find a 4 on the board somewhere and see if it works better..