[SOLVED] New Corsair PSU has coil whine, should I send it back and buy a different model ?

- sam -

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Need advice, new build has coil whine within the PSU, it's a Corsair HX 850.

I contacted the retailer where I bought it from, they want me to send it back so they can check it out for themselves, but the problem is I want to have a working system whilst they do these tests.

Should I just order a new PSU different model because I'm afraid if I get the same model the same thing will happen ?
Should I choose a different brand to purchase and hope they will refund me for the HX 850 ?

Solution
I can hear it whilst idle, but not enough unless I put my head up to the pc case. Other than that underload is goes crazy loud.

5800x, msi tomahawk x570, 32gb, rtx 3070e

I don't know the answer to your last question. I live in the UK if that helps.

Getting louder under load isn't normal. Maybe some of the magnetics didn't get proper lamination.

Wow it could be my house electricity? how would i test this. i've never had a problem with any other pc.

Newer PSUs have to meet newer efficiency, EMI, RF and safety requirements so you can't really compare an older PSU to a newer one.

I've head dealings with people having three phase electrical devices, like EV chargers and in-line water heaters, introduce noise back into...
I would first try to deal with the whine.
If I couldn't...and didn't want to be without a system I'd by another good PSU.
Then I'd send that one in and hope the refunded me.
If they didn't....and just offered a new replacement...you can sell it on EBay as new.

Need advice, new build has coil whine within the PSU, it's a Corsair HX 850.

I contacted the retailer where I bought it from, they want me to send it back so they can check it out for themselves, but the problem is I want to have a working system whilst they do these tests.

Should I just order a new PSU different model because I'm afraid if I get the same model the same thing will happen ?
Should I choose a different brand to purchase and hope they will refund me for the HX 850 ?

When does it whine? How does it whine? How loud is the whine? What are your other parts? Are there other electronics in your house that are using three phase electricity?

- sam -

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
When does it whine? How does it whine? How loud is the whine? What are your other parts? Are there other electronics in your house that are using three phase electricity?

I can hear it whilst idle, but not enough unless I put my head up to the pc case. Other than that underload is goes crazy loud.

Getting louder under load isn't normal. Maybe some of the magnetics didn't get proper lamination.

Wow it could be my house electricity? how would i test this. i've never had a problem with any other pc.

Newer PSUs have to meet newer efficiency, EMI, RF and safety requirements so you can't really compare an older PSU to a newer one.

I've head dealings with people having three phase electrical devices, like EV chargers and in-line water heaters, introduce noise back into the mains that manifests itself as audible noise at the PSU. But that wouldn't explain the noise getting louder when the PSU is under heavier load.

Solution

- sam -

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014

I've head dealings with people having three phase electrical devices, like EV chargers and in-line water heaters, introduce noise back into the mains that manifests itself as audible noise at the PSU. But that wouldn't explain the noise getting louder when the PSU is under heavier load.

I have a video, it doesn't sound as bad in the clip. the clip shows from going from idle to opening valley benchmark. https://streamable.com/l7pi0j