New CPU (4690K) makes computer shut off after a second

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 27, 2018
so today i got my 4690K in the mail, puttin it in my PC makes it fail to boot it shuts off after about half a second, am using an MSI H81M-P33 (i know i cant OC the 4690k) putting my pentium G3258 in makes it run perfectly though. am on latest bios from MSI site. im really stumped and starting to get really sad bc i think the CPU might just be DOA. any help is appreciated thank you so much

Solution
Intel-Core-I5-4690K-3-5GHz-6MB-Socket-LGA-1150-Quad-Core-CPU-Processor-I5-4690K.jpg_640x640.jpg

Is there paste on the outer edge?

What kind of paste did you use? There are conductive and non conductive types, if you used non conductive paste, bit on cpu pcb wont hurt anything.
May 27, 2018
i believe it has always done it. funny thing is first time i put the i5 in it worked, lights came on it just didnt have the display. im really stumped. there is a bit of thermal paste on the top green part of the cpu that i have been unable to get off its like right up against the metal lid on the top could that be it?

May 27, 2018

it was on the inner edge near the cpu lid, and it came with the 212 evo which i believe is nonconductive. i already rebuilt without the i5 so im just gonna send it back today. thank you so much for the help ill update ya when/if i get a replacement.