Question New CPU and BIOS doesn't work, nor does msi m-flash ?

Mar 31, 2023
My PC specs are
  • Ryzen 7 5700x
  • MSI B450 Tomahaw MAX
  • MSI GTX 1080 8 GB
  • 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 16CL
  • Windows 11 64-bit
I had a Ryzen 5 3600 processor and upgraded to a Ryzen 7 5700x.
There is no inclusion of BIOS and immediately transition to the Windows screen. if at startup I click on delete and others (launching Bios), then my PC does not even go to Windows boot, the screen is just dark and nothing happens
What I tried and what didn’t help:
  • updating the BIOS drivers to new ones (connecting a new cpu resets the BIOS settings to standard ones, this can be seen from the RAM speed)
  • turning off the BIOS battery
  • turning off the RAM and hard drive
  • msi m-flash does not work with MSI.ROM and a regular boot file (immediately switches to windows boot).
  • These methods did not help. BIOS ignores and does not start howtogeek.com/783790/how-to-enter-the-bios-on-windows-10
  • Tried reinstalling Windows. The first time the screen did not load, the second time the load returned to its previous state (writes that it was not reinstalled due to an error)
  • 7C02v3D driver was preloaded on the old 3600 processor. The bios won't load on the 5700x. BIOS settings are reset to default (RAM speed is the same)
With the old CPU it all worked.
Dxdiag.txt

To make it more clear, I’ll say this - all of the above my attempts were divided either on a black screen without loading the BIOS or Windows screen, or switching to the Windows screen (without bios)

Mar 31, 2023
I was going by what you aid here "There is no inclusion of BIOS and immediately transition to the Windows screen. "
I'll write here, maybe it will help someone. I managed to enter the BIOS - I connected hdmi (instead of displayport), closed jbat1 with a screwdriver and pulled out the CMOS battery. RAM put in the wrong slots (I got a message that it was inserted incorrectly). Everything turned out, I set the necessary settings and connected the displayport. Again skipped loading the BIOS and reset the settings to default. I will try again with hdmi and ram with the wrong slots. I will also try to remove all video drivers through DDU in safe mode

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023
I was going by what you aid here "There is no inclusion of BIOS and immediately transition to the Windows screen. "
Unfortunately, yesterday I couldn't even get to the Windows boot screen. This was after my desire to go into safe mode to uninstall the video driver. After that there was only a black screen (without loading safe mode and uninstalling drivers). The steps above helped me get out of this.

Mar 31, 2023
In general, everything worked out for me.
  • reset jbat1 and CMOS battery
  • installed RAM in wrong slots
  • connected hdmi instead of displayport
  • uninstalled video drivers in safe mode (DDU)
Reconnected displayport and everything works, though I can enter BIOS (so that it can boot) only via hdmi, displayport only starts from the Windows splash screen. Thanks for the help, you can close the thread

Mar 31, 2023
It sounds like you didn't update the BIOS so your motherboard doesn't recognise your R7-5700X.

Here's what you do:
  1. Put your R6-3600 back into your motherboard.
  2. Do BIOS updates until you reach at least 7C02v3D.
  3. Now try using the R7-5700X, it should work.
It feels like no one reads my answers or my English is so terrible. I wrote above that the drivers were updated and I did all these steps.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Drivers are not the BIOS.

I'll write here, maybe it will help someone. I managed to enter the BIOS - I connected hdmi (instead of displayport), closed jbat1 with a screwdriver and pulled out the CMOS battery. RAM put in the wrong slots (I got a message that it was inserted incorrectly). Everything turned out, I set the necessary settings and connected the displayport. Again skipped loading the BIOS and reset the settings to default. I will try again with hdmi and ram with the wrong slots. I will also try to remove all video drivers through DDU in safe mode

I managed to enter the BIOS by using HDMI. Understandable.

I cleared the CMOS using the jumper and removing the battery (one or the other would have been enough). Understandable.

"RAM put in the wrong slots", and an error message. You did not state that you corrected this, though I assume that is what you did?

"Everything turned out." That can mean a lot of things, but I assume it is a typo and you mean to say that everything turned on? Which was already the case since you were in the BIOS.

"I set the necessary settings." You do not say what settings you changed. You have reconnected display port.

"Again skipped loading the BIOS and reset the settings to default." Did you do that, or did the system do that?

"I will try again with hdmi and ram with the wrong slots." Okay, understand the HDMI part, but what does the ram being in the wrong slots do for you? Force you into the BIOS without seeing it before the display lights up?

Quite a few other questionable statements in the original post.

• updating the BIOS drivers to new ones (connecting a new cpu resets the BIOS settings to standard ones, this can be seen from the RAM speed)
    • Note: no it doesn't reset all settings, just those related directly to the CPU.
  • turning off the BIOS battery
    • Disconnecting the BIOS battery
  • turning off the RAM and hard drive
    • Disconnecting the hard drive (a good precaution, but shouldn't make a difference) No RAM will always mean no booting.
  • msi m-flash does not work with MSI.ROM and a regular boot file (immediately switches to windows boot).
    • changing the BIOS file to MSI.ROM is the correct procedure, but you must have the correct BIOS version. It is possible you have upgraded to the latest without first installing some intermediate step that was necessary.
  • These methods did not help. BIOS ignores and does not start howtogeek.com/783790/how-to-enter-the-bios-on-windows-10
    • This method would work under normal circumstances. Many systems are too fast to catch with keyboard commands, so this is a good alternative.
  • Tried reinstalling Windows. The first time the screen did not load, the second time the load returned to its previous state (writes that it was not reinstalled due to an error)
    • This was not necessary unless you managed to change the security settings on the motherboard, which is certainly possible with a BIOS flash. That was the advice about CSM from earlier.
  • 7C02v3D driver was preloaded on the old 3600 processor. The bios won't load on the 5700x. BIOS settings are reset to default (RAM speed is the same)
    • Why 3D and not 3F? 4 months newer. That is the minimum required for your new processor, you should use the latest.

Reactions: CountMike