[SOLVED] New CPU and BIOS

Feb 10, 2020
I have an ASRock Z68 Pro 3 with an Intel i3 2100 CPU running WIN 7 PRO. System is 8 years old and runs perfect for all my needs.
I have to upgrade to WIN 10, not too eager, but have to for security so I am told. System seems to meet all requisites for WIN 10 except the Graphics on the CPU is HD Graphics 2000 which apparently is not acceptable to WIN 10. I have an Itel i3-3225 which has acceptable Graphics on board and I would like to simply replace the CPU. Board specs indicate support for series 2 & 3 CPU's
Can I do this this WITHOUT flashing a new BIOS? Will Windows 10 function without the BIOS change? I have never flashed a BIOS and I am concerned about consequences.
Any direction appreciated!

Solution
i3-3225 can be bought on ebay for about $10.
A good deal, I think.
Run cpu-Z
It will tell you what your current bios level is.
2.10 was released 5/10/2012 so you may well already have it.
If you need to flash, download it from here:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z68 Pro3/index.asp#BIOS

When you flash your bios, be patient.
Do not interrupt the process if it seems to take too long.
It will look like nothing is going on.

Feb 10, 2020
i3-3225 can be bought on ebay for about $10.
A good deal, I think.
Run cpu-Z
It will tell you what your current bios level is.
2.10 was released 5/10/2012 so you may well already have it.
If you need to flash, download it from here:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z68 Pro3/index.asp#BIOS

When you flash your bios, be patient.
Do not interrupt the process if it seems to take too long.
It will look like nothing is going on.
ASRock Z68 Pro3 CPU Support List

The new processor requires BIOS version P2.10. If you're not already running this BIOS version, you need to update the BIOS before installing the new CPU otherwise your system may not pass the Power On Self Test (POST). It may not even try to start Windows.

-Wolf sends

Feb 10, 2020
Thank you for the help. I have never flashed a BIOS and I am a little nervous of the possibilities of error. The mother board has an instant flash feature. Should I use that feature with the new CPU installed and let the feature scan the hardware and Flash the correct version for the new CPU? Are there any detailed instructions on the web showing basic steps to do this?
I apologize for maybe "amateurish " questions, but this procedure is foreign to me and I would like to do it right
Thanks!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Solution
Do not flash unless the new update contains a fix to a problem that is impacting you.
In your case, if you are already on version 2.10 or higher, there is no need to flash nor should you try.
There are some "beta" flashes out there that purport to increase performance; I would not touch them.

If you are not on 2.10, you need to do the flash using your current supported processor.
Your motherboard manual should direct you on the bios update process.
My guess is that you download the bios to a fat32 formatted usb drive.
Plug it in to your pc and start up the pc to enter the bios.
This is usually hitting del or F2 repeatedly while powering on.
When in the bios, there should be a tab for the Qflash process.
You may need to first select an advanced option to see it.
When you start the Qflash process, it should find the usb stick and the updated bios.
After verifying that the bios is appropriate, you start the process.
It will look like nothing is going on att all. This might be 10 minutes, seeming like an eternity.
DO NOT interrupt the process. A failed flash can be nasty to recover from.

When done, boot up the pc and verify the new bios level with cpu-Z.

Now, you can replace the processor.
Run the pc a bit before shutting down to warm up the thermal paste and make it easy to remove the cooler.
Have some alcohol on hand to clean off the old paste.
You will need new paste. Most any will do the job.
When replacing the cpu, be very careful to align the notches to the socket and just drop the cpu in.
Do not smoosh it around to seat it or you will damage a socket pin and likely ruin the motherboard.

Assuming you are using a stock Intel cooler:
----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is bad, it will act as an insulator.
It is hard to use too little.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feb 10, 2020
Well updated BIOS to P2.10 and replaced the CPU with an Ivy Bridge i3 series 3225. When I boot the system I get screen indicating a problem with possible hardware changes not allowing Windows to start.
The screen shows windows starting with 2 dots, then goes right to message. I tried Windows repair tool on the installation disc with no success. I assume CPU is functioning since I can access BIOS and CD Drive
The initial boot is set for the SSD where the OS is stored
Got message Problem Signature – event name 01 – 6.1.7600.16385 02: 6.1.7600.16385 03: unknown
04: 600 05: External Media 06: 1 07: no Root Cause OS Ver: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1 Location ID: 1033
Seems system can’t access SSD – all connections are correct and they were never touched. Worked fine before update procedure – Any Ideas?
Since I plan to update to Windows 10 Pro with a clean install on a separate SSD (os only)– would this alleviate the problem? I would just delete the old OS from the older drive and leave all my data intact

When you updated the bios, your settings would have been returned to default.
Look at all of the options in your bios to see if a default might not be appropriate.
Look particularly at the sata device settings.

As a quick check to verify that the hardware is all good, run memtest86.
You download it to a usb stick and boot. It does not use windows.

Since you are going to windows 10 anyway, remove all drives, and install 10 to your new ssd.
When done, you can reattach your drives and should be able to access all of your data folders.
Apps will need to be reinstalled.

If you need to retain your apps, you could try booting from 10 install media and select the upgrade option.
This might be risky in that if there is a failure, you could lose what is on the ssd.

Feb 10, 2020
When you updated the bios, your settings would have been returned to default.
Look at all of the options in your bios to see if a default might not be appropriate.
Look particularly at the sata device settings.

As a quick check to verify that the hardware is all good, run memtest86.
You download it to a usb stick and boot. It does not use windows.

Since you are going to windows 10 anyway, remove all drives, and install 10 to your new ssd.
When done, you can reattach your drives and should be able to access all of your data folders.
Apps will need to be reinstalled.

If you need to retain your apps, you could try booting from 10 install media and select the upgrade option.
This might be risky in that if there is a failure, you could lose what is on the ssd.

I notice the SATA mode for my Samsung SSD is set at IDE - could this be causing a problem?

Feb 10, 2020
Made the change in the Bios for SATA to ACHI and windows loaded and runs
Thanks for all your help and prompt relies to my situation. I hope Win 10 will be as good as WIN 7 pro has been for the past 8 years!
Thanks again!!