[SOLVED] new cpu and components to change

HisoHiso

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
Hello, i need a new cpu for my pc (current one is amd phenom ii x4 965 ), i am an average pc user and i dont need the best cpu or something, just enough to handle modern pc games fine and be able to last for some time. I have no idea where and how i should start looking for a new one so i would like to hear your suggestions, as long as its not something very expensive. From what i heard though, i will have to change other pc components too, since i built my pc like 8 years ago (except for the gpu, since i recently bought a new one). Could you tell me which components i should change to make it compatible with the new cpu and whether you have any good and reasonably priced recommendations? Here are the rest of the specs:
Turbo-X B.T.O
DVD-RW Samsung SH-222BB Sata Black Bul
HDD Toshiba SATA III 500GB 32MB 7200
MB Gigabyte 970A-D3(sAM3+/DDR3/970)
CPU AMD Phenom II x4 965(AM3/3,4GHz/8M
RAM DDR3 Corsair 8GB (2x4)Kit 1600MHz
Radeon RX 570 ITX

Solution
Thank you very much for your detailed answer, really appreciate it. My psu is corsair cx600 and its 600 watt, guess that makes it good enough then? I am not sure about the budget cause i consider a fine pc a necessity but i m not rich or something so i d rather have a good balance between price and quality. Is the futureproof option you suggested much more costy? I am not sure which option i should pick but i guess i ll look for prices and go with that unless its much more expensive. Otherwise, if you think that the ssd you mentioned before would be the best option hit me up with what i should pick.

Yes it's a bit costy. I don't know the exact price, but cpu, mobo and ram will end up at around 500-600$.

With the cheaper (but...

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Hello, i need a new cpu for my pc (current one is amd phenom ii x4 965 ), i am an average pc user and i dont need the best cpu or something, just enough to handle modern pc games fine and be able to last for some time. I have no idea where and how i should start looking for a new one so i would like to hear your suggestions, as long as its not something very expensive. From what i heard though, i will have to change other pc components too, since i built my pc like 8 years ago (except for the gpu, since i recently bought a new one). Could you tell me which components i should change to make it compatible with the new cpu and whether you have any good and reasonably priced recommendations? Here are the rest of the specs:
Turbo-X B.T.O
DVD-RW Samsung SH-222BB Sata Black Bul
HDD Toshiba SATA III 500GB 32MB 7200
MB Gigabyte 970A-D3(sAM3+/DDR3/970)
CPU AMD Phenom II x4 965(AM3/3,4GHz/8M
RAM DDR3 Corsair 8GB (2x4)Kit 1600MHz
Radeon RX 570 ITX

So with you Rx 570 you don't really need a brutally good cpu. A Ryzen 5 2600 (6c/12t) paired with a b450 motherboard and 16gigs of ddr4 3000mhz ram is pretty solid. You can even slap an RTX 2070s or an RX 5700XT and it will handle it just fine. If you want it really futureproof, I would look for an x570 motherboard and a Ryzen 7 3700x. With 8 cores and 16 threads its a beast of a cpu. Many games are also starting to support 8 cores, so you're on the right side. The x570 motherboard supports pcie gen 4 ssd's aswell as gddr6 gpu's. It's a rock solid and you can slap on it pretty much anything.

Also please show your psu. You need to upgrade it. 8 years are pretty long for a psu.

For the r5 2600 option, atleast 500w is requiered. The r7 3700x option is a bit more powerhungry and needs right now with your rx 570 around 550w. But when you want to upgrade your gpu, it will need more. A solid 750w bronze/gold psu will handle quite a lot gpu's, even in the future.

For best power consumptions search for PSU calculator and look for the Outervision website. They provide a pretty precise calculator, where you can put every componement in.

And btw, why not consider an ssd? You'll be blowed away about the performence :D if you want tell me your budget and I can make you a pc part picker config

The R5-3600/B450 must be one of the most sought-after (and purhcased!) gaming 'go - to ' combos for the past several months, given the now only $175 cost for CPU and $120-ish for a basic mainboard....

Throw in a 16 GB kit of 3200 MHz DDR4, and, your next stop will be a faster GPU in a few months time (GTX1660/1660 Super, etc),as th GTX1050 already requires medium to low settings at 1080P in many of the newest games, but, it is still usable at 1080P.

(The R5-2600 is often at amazingly decent prices for a more budget friendly alternative)

Last edited:

HisoHiso

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
So with you Rx 570 you don't really need a brutally good cpu. A Ryzen 5 2600 (6c/12t) paired with a b450 motherboard and 16gigs of ddr4 3000mhz ram is pretty solid. You can even slap an RTX 2070s or an RX 5700XT and it will handle it just fine. If you want it really futureproof, I would look for an x570 motherboard and a Ryzen 7 3700x. With 8 cores and 16 threads its a beast of a cpu. Many games are also starting to support 8 cores, so you're on the right side. The x570 motherboard supports pcie gen 4 ssd's aswell as gddr6 gpu's. It's a rock solid and you can slap on it pretty much anything.

Also please show your psu. You need to upgrade it. 8 years are pretty long for a psu.

For the r5 2600 option, atleast 500w is requiered. The r7 3700x option is a bit more powerhungry and needs right now with your rx 570 around 550w. But when you want to upgrade your gpu, it will need more. A solid 750w bronze/gold psu will handle quite a lot gpu's, even in the future.

For best power consumptions search for PSU calculator and look for the Outervision website. They provide a pretty precise calculator, where you can put every componement in.

And btw, why not consider an ssd? You'll be blowed away about the performence :D if you want tell me your budget and I can make you a pc part picker config
Thank you very much for your detailed answer, really appreciate it. My psu is corsair cx600 and its 600 watt, guess that makes it good enough then? I am not sure about the budget cause i consider a fine pc a necessity but i m not rich or something so i d rather have a good balance between price and quality. Is the futureproof option you suggested much more costy? I am not sure which option i should pick but i guess i ll look for prices and go with that unless its much more expensive. Otherwise, if you think that the ssd you mentioned before would be the best option hit me up with what i should pick.

HisoHiso

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
The R5-3600/B450 must be one of the most sought-after (and purhcased!) gaming 'go - to ' combos for the past several months, given the now only $175 cost for CPU and $120-ish for a basic mainboard....

Throw in a 16 GB kit of 3200 MHz DDR4, and, your next stop will be a faster GPU in a few months time (GTX1660/1660 Super, etc),as th GTX1050 already requires medium to low settings at 1080P in many of the newest games, but, it is still usable at 1080P.

(The R5-2600 is often at amazingly decent prices for a more budget friendly alternative)
Thank you very much for your time, i bought my gpu a few months ago so its the only pc part i wouldnt change. If the components you mentioned go well with the rest i will consider your suggestion, since i also have 2 other suggestions from another reply.

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019

Yes it's a bit costy. I don't know the exact price, but cpu, mobo and ram will end up at around 500-600$.

With the cheaper (but not bad at all) variant you will get to around 350-400$.

So here is what I would buy right now in your case:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2qtjtg

It's not the 8 core one, but from the same 3. generation a 6 core 12 thread cpu. It's great for gaming and quite cheap in the past few days. It comes with a pretty decent cooler, so no worries about that. You can even run a 2080, so it's quite futureproof.

The motherboard is a 2. Gen model, wich supports 3. Gen ryzen cpu's with a BIOS update. So clearify where you buy the motherboard if it already comes with the requiered ryzen 3000 ready bios. I have the same mobo and I'm currently running a ryzen 7 2700. Works perfectly fine and just gets the job done.

The ram speed here is 3200mhz, as amd cpus love fast memory. 16gb are enough for games.

The ssd is compared to your hdd really fast. I have the same one (except 240gb instead of 480) and windows boots in 10-13s. 480gb should be fine for quite a lot of games and you'll have more space on your hdd for pictures, bigger files, huge games (like modern warfare which can take up to around 120gb), etc.
Two Sata cables are provided in the motherboard to connect the ssd to the mobo.

Solution

HisoHiso

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019

With the cheaper (but not bad at all) variant you will get to around 350-400$.

So here is what I would buy right now in your case:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2qtjtg

It's not the 8 core one, but from the same 3. generation a 6 core 12 thread cpu. It's great for gaming and quite cheap in the past few days. It comes with a pretty decent cooler, so no worries about that. You can even run a 2080, so it's quite futureproof.

The motherboard is a 2. Gen model, wich supports 3. Gen ryzen cpu's with a BIOS update. So clearify where you buy the motherboard if it already comes with the requiered ryzen 3000 ready bios. I have the same mobo and I'm currently running a ryzen 7 2700. Works perfectly fine and just gets the job done.

The ram speed here is 3200mhz, as amd cpus love fast memory. 16gb are enough for games.

The ssd is compared to your hdd really fast. I have the same one (except 240gb instead of 480) and windows boots in 10-13s. 480gb should be fine for quite a lot of games and you'll have more space on your hdd for pictures, bigger files, huge games (like modern warfare which can take up to around 120gb), etc.
Two Sata cables are provided in the motherboard to connect the ssd to the mobo.
Thank you very much for your time my friend, i ll take all that you said into account and think which option i ll go with.

Reactions: geckovic02