Question (New CPU and Motherboard) PC shuts down while gaming

RonaldJD

Honorable
Apr 6, 2015
Dear Friends,

A week ago i received my new cpu the Ryzen 9 5900x and i also bought a new motherboard the Msi MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi and after putting everything together when i am gaming my pc randomly shuts down. The only way to get it to start again is by clearing the CMOS and sometimes even when starting a game it shuts down. I checked the event viewer and i keep getting the critial error Kernel power 41. Does anyone know what this can be?

Before i was using another cpu and motherboard and everything was running fine. I dont know if the cpu is broken or if something is wrong with it. I did read that some people also had problems with it.

My setup is this
  • MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi - Motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - Processor
  • Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum - Processor Cooler
  • G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC - Ram Sticks 2x
  • AMD RX 6800 XT - AMD GPU
I really hope that nothing is broken because i had to wait 5 months just to get the cpu and those were expensive for me. Even the GPU was really difficult to get.

Hopefully, someone can help me here.

Kind regards,

Lutfij

Titan
Did you reinstall the OS when you migrated to the new motherboard/CPU combo? You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. What OS version are you currently on, since you should be on Windows 10? What 2 slots are populated with the sticks of ram? Speaking of slots, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

i had to wait 5 months just to get the cpu and those were expensive for me. Even the GPU was really difficult to get.
yes we know, we've known that for a year and it's going to be like this until the end of 2022, or until the pandemic goes poof

RonaldJD

Honorable
Apr 6, 2015
Did you reinstall the OS when you migrated to the new motherboard/CPU combo? You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. What OS version are you currently on, since you should be on Windows 10? What 2 slots are populated with the sticks of ram? Speaking of slots, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

i had to wait 5 months just to get the cpu and those were expensive for me. Even the GPU was really difficult to get.
yes we know, we've known that for a year and it's going to be like this until the end of 2022, or until the pandemic goes poof
Oh yeah forgot to mention, my power supply is the Cooler master V850 Model RS-850-AFBA-G1 Plus Gold.

These are the things i have tried so far.
Reinstalled the windows
Reinstalled the GPU drivers after DDU.
Disable PBO and Enable PBO
Change PCI slot for GPU
Disable any OC that i had
Tried using 1 ram stick instead of two same problem

I dont know what else i can do. I have read that i needed to give the cpu an extra 0.05 V but i dont know how i can do that. dont want to mess up anything.

Some say that kernel power 41 comes when the PSU is going bad or is not giving enough power. I am thinking of buying a 1000 watts one but don't want to spend the money if it is not needed. this power supply i have is had for around 4 years if i am correct.

The windows 10 version i am running is the 21H1 Windows 10 Pro. OS Build 19043.906. Even when i reinstalled an older windows the same problem kept on repeating itself.

The ram slot i use are 2 and 4 (MMA2 and MMB 2) the ones that the mobo says are the ones to use for dual channel. The bios version i installed was the latest one (7C37v1D). I though this would be the issue and that is why i installed it.

The problem only occures when i start a game or am playing a game. sometimes i can play for half a day before it happens and other times it happens as soon as i start a game.

Sometimes when i start the pc it gives a red light on the mobo but it goes away when it loads pass the bios image.

Last edited: