Question New CPU and motherboard, PC won't turn on

uchiharecker

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018
Hi all, I got a 5800x and a b550m ds3h for it and installed them however my PC won't turn on. There are 2 things that come to mind : the BIOS may not support the 5000 series processors, however on the box of the mobo it says ''amd ryzen 5000 desktop ready'' so I don't think that's it.

The other thing is that the motherboard has an 8 pin input for the cpu power, however my PSU only has a 4 pin connector. From what I've read online this shouldn't be an issue, but I can't find any other reason why the PC wouldn't be turning on. And when I say it doesn't turn on, it doesn't turn on at all, the fans don't even spin.

There are several motherboards which support newer CPUs...but only if the BIOS is flashed to a sufficiently current revision. However, don't believe what you've read about not needing an 8-pin connector (unless you have two 4-pins designed to fit together as an 8-pin...then it is really an 8-pin capable of working like a 4-pin). You need full power before you can conclude power is sufficient.

uchiharecker

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018
There are several motherboards which support newer CPUs...but only if the BIOS is flashed to a sufficiently current revision
I don't think that's the problem since it says ''Ryzen 5000 desktop ready'' on the box of the motherboard.

You need full power before you can conclude power is sufficient.
So after I get a new psu with 8 pins or an adapter with 8 pins it should work?