[SOLVED] New CPU and Motherboard wont boot into existing Windows

oxicottin

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
My moms PC with a ASUS motherboard failed so I purchased her a new MSI MPG Z490 and a Intel Core i5-10600K CPU and figured I could use the same SSD that already has windows 10 and all her info like quicken ect... I booted the PC and it goes straight to the BIOS and in the bios it shows the SSD but wont boot to it even if I put 1st in boot order. I desperately need the info off that disc, how can I get it to boot up?

Solution
Years of quicken.... The backup files are there I just can't seem to get them to work how can I get those drivers installed on my old hard drive so I can get it to boot?

Quicken will display the location where your backup will be saved in along with the name of the backup file (this is typically your Quicken file name followed by . QDF-backup). The default save location for backup files is C:\Users\[your name]\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP

To transfer quicken file to a new OS
Drag your Quicken file from the external drive or disc to your new computer's desktop. Open Quicken and select the...
All I did was changed the MB and CPU and booted up the PC and it went straight to BIOS. I did however see the BIOS had a recent date on it like October 2021

Go to the MSI website and use M-Flash to update.
Latest Version is 7C75vA6 with Release Date 2021-02-04

Go here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z490-GAMING-PLUS#down-bios

How to use M-Flash go here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyFMf0D9Lc

For chipset go here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z490-GAMING-PLUS#down-driver&Win10 64

oxicottin

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
Ok but if I do this will it recognize my windows on my SSD? And after updating do I need to change any settings and I wouldn't be able to update the chipset if I cant get windows.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok but if I do this will it recognize my windows on my SSD? And after updating do I need to change any settings and I wouldn't be able to update the chipset if I cant get windows.

Thanks!

The Bios should really have been updated prior to installing the new CPU and a full backup of the OS to USB before replacing the Motherboard. A fresh, clean Windows 10 install will not delete user data files, but all applications need to be reinstalled on the computer after the OS upgrade. The old Windows installation will be moved into the “Windows directory".

I is not guaranteed that the system will work well with the current drivers in Windows in which case review your Drivers with a safe boot. A clean instal of the Operating system would be recommended if issues exist.

Last edited:

oxicottin

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
The Bios should really have been updated prior to installing the new CPU and a full backup of the OS to USB before replacing the Motherboard. A fresh, clean Windows 10 install will not delete user data files, but all applications need to be reinstalled on the computer after the OS upgrade. The old Windows installation will be moved into the “Windows directory".

I is not guaranteed that the system will work well with the current drivers in Windows in which case review your Drivers with a safe boot. A clean instal of the Operating system would be recommended if issues exist.

My original MB quit working so I had no choice..... So I couldn't backup etc.. I am purchasing another SSD to install windows on, how can i get the data from my original SSD after that?

My original MB quit working so I had no choice..... So I couldn't backup etc.. I am purchasing another SSD to install windows on, how can i get the data from my original SSD after that?

With a new SSD, instal Windows using the Media creation tool.
Go here for the ISO file: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

If your unsure go here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...stall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

Leave the old drive out for now and do the new installation.
You can then add the old drive to obtain any files of importance.

oxicottin

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
Already done it I wish I could delete the drivers from the old hard drive and put the drivers that is needed for the new motherboard and CPU etc on the old hard drive is that possible because I'm missing a lot of stuff

Years of quicken.... The backup files are there I just can't seem to get them to work how can I get those drivers installed on my old hard drive so I can get it to boot?

Quicken will display the location where your backup will be saved in along with the name of the backup file (this is typically your Quicken file name followed by . QDF-backup). The default save location for backup files is C:\Users\[your name]\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP

To transfer quicken file to a new OS
Drag your Quicken file from the external drive or disc to your new computer's desktop. Open Quicken and select the File > Restore Backup File. Navigate to your desktop and select your Quicken backup to restore the data file.

Solution