Apr 2, 2006
This is my system
Asus Crosshair mb
AMD 6000+
4 gig OCZ memory
BFG 8800 GT OC
ULTRA 700 watt power supply
2- WD Raptors in raid

This is my problem. I decided that the 6000+ was a bit old and I wanted to upgrade the CPU. I looked on Asus's website and according to them if I flashed the Bios to the latest "1207" I could run a AMD Phenom x4 9950. So I bought the CPU and installed it with no problems and the computer boots showing the new CPU. I boot into the Bios and make sure everything in there was ok and I didn't change anything. Now when I try to boot into Windows the computer shuts itself off at the Windows Logo. I tried this about 5 times both in normal boot and safe mode. It stays in the bios with no problems. I even left it there for 30 min. What could be causing the computer to automatic shut itself off at the Windows logo ? Could it be the power supply was failing and now with the added wattage of the new cpu " 85 watt to 125 watt" stress the power supply to the point of it turning the power off as a safety action ? Any help you guys can give me would be great.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Did you flash the BIOS?

Whether you flashed it or not, you should go ahead and reset your BIOS. Put your BIOS to fail safe or default settings.

lumpy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
So You Flashed pc with new bios then ,upon first reboot set bios too"default"or "reset"or "opptimal settings" somthing like that,Right?
Then rebooted into windows just to make sure it works ok.
Then shut down put in new cpu.
power up.then reset the bios too default once more.
Resetting bios helps mother board id the new cpu.

forseti

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
Yes I have the new Bios installed and I had windows up and running with the new Bios and old CPU. I set the bios to default then I installed the new CPU. The Bios identifies the new CPU properly and during the boot I can see it lists the CPU proper. Only when I hit the windows logo does the system shut down on it own. Can the power supply detect a fault with the CPU or within itself and cut the power on its own without input from the MB ?

nezello

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

I have the same problem is there a fix? If I put my old 6400 back in no problems.