[SOLVED] New CPU but lower performance

Sep 4, 2020
I recently upgraded my cpu from am i5-9600k to an i9-9900k and my performance decreased a lot instead of improving. My specs are the following
i9-9900k
Rx 5700xt
Asrock-Z390M Pro4
24gb of RAM
Avedia Bt700w

When I first installed it, I initially ran it without thermal paste, I had it run for 5 minutes before it auto shut down. I now have thermal paste and temperatures are normal but is there any way the cpu got damaged or came defective?

Last edited:
Solution
What performance decrease are we asking about?
How is it being measured.
I suspect there is more going on.
A processor will shut down to protect itself it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.
Most motherboards will not even start unless it can detect a cpu cooler fan running.
Even then, I would expect it to run for 3 seconds before shutting down, not 5 minutes.

If things are running ok now, I doubt the processor really was permanently damaged.
Look into other causes of a performance reduction.

For example, if the 9600k had been overclocked and not the 9900K, that could explain things.
I recently upgraded my cpu from am i5-9900k to an i9-9900k and my performance decreased a lot instead of improving. My specs are the following
i9-9900k
Rx 5700xt
Asrock-Z390M Pro4
24gb of RAM
Avedia Bt700w

When I first installed it, I initially ran it without thermal paste, I had it run for 5 minutes before it auto shut down. I now have thermal paste and temperatures are normal but is there any way the cpu got damaged or came defective?

Why would you run without thermal paste? Its possible you damaged the CPU.

I9 9000k is an powerful CPU before 10th gen come out running it without paste for 5 mins and let it overheat could of made some harm to your performance. Just check youtube vids cpu without paste burns. Always test your computer with paste and cooler on it!. So suggest you go to the store and take it back and dont say anything about what you did, If you want to swap it!

I9 9000k is an powerful CPU before 10th gen come out running it without paste for 5 mins and let it overheat could of made some harm to your performance. Just check youtube vids cpu without paste burns. Always test your computer with paste and cooler on it!. So suggest you go to the store and take it back and dont say anything about what you did, If you want to swap it!
Only a crap person would do that.

dimtodim

Reputable
I recently upgraded my cpu from am i5-9900k to an i9-9900k and my performance decreased a lot instead of improving. My specs are the following
i9-9900k
Rx 5700xt
Asrock-Z390M Pro4
24gb of RAM
Avedia Bt700w

Cpu have own protection and when he get max temp he shut down system that was case in your fact. I think u dont damage cpu and if u upgrade only cpu all part is same u cant get some big effects. Cpu isnt damage anyway dont wory

Sep 4, 2020
Thank you, yea, I get 30 days to refund/replace it so I’m going to say it was defective and hopefully get a replacement.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Why don't you advocate buying a car, draining the engine oil, burning up the engine and returning it to the dealership expecting it to be warrantied while you are at it..

Why don't you advocate buying a car, draining the engine oil, burning up the engine and returning it to the dealership expecting it to be warrantied while you are at it..

He made an mistake and yes we have to learn from them but we do not know the 100% reason why his cpu wont work the way he wants it. Returning it is the best instead paying for another CPU or send it to repair. So yes people can vote my answer down but hope the OP learns from this.

What performance decrease are we asking about?
How is it being measured.
I suspect there is more going on.
A processor will shut down to protect itself it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.
Most motherboards will not even start unless it can detect a cpu cooler fan running.
Even then, I would expect it to run for 3 seconds before shutting down, not 5 minutes.

If things are running ok now, I doubt the processor really was permanently damaged.
Look into other causes of a performance reduction.

For example, if the 9600k had been overclocked and not the 9900K, that could explain things.

Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
He made an mistake and yes we have to learn from them but we do not know the 100% reason why his cpu wont work the way he wants it. Returning it is the best instead paying for another CPU or send it to repair. So yes people can vote my answer down but hope the OP learns from this.
I am not going to continue a back and forth here because it makes no difference. But as a point if the full situation is disclosed to the retailer and they decide to take it back for customer satisfaction or because of a hard line no questions asked return policy that is on them and I would say they have gone above and beyond. On the other hand my guess is that if disclosure is made they are going to tell him that they are not responsible for improper installation and that is on him. This is purely an issue of ethics which are clearly lacking here. In most cases running without a cooler voids manufacturer warranty so you are working purely on the retailers willingness to take it in the shorts. The short version here is read the instructions before turning it on and if you don't and the thing blows smoke don't expect someone else to pay for it.

TRENDING THREADS