Question New cpu causes boot process to freeze and I cannot login to windows; cpu light brief flash to a longer flash of the dram light (mobo)

Sep 28, 2019
I recently tried to install a new i9 9900k in replacement for my i5 9600k to which every time I would boot the system, I would get past the bios screen and windows would begin to load but fail. My first boot looked promising as it detected a new cpu and once it told me to set it up in the bios, it displayed the right frequency and everything. I’ve tried numerous layouts with my ram sticks, to no avail, and I tried putting my i5 back into my pc and it booted into windows just fine. Sometimes it would tell me that it’s “preparing automatic repair” but freezes every time. I’m not sure if it’s shorting anywhere because of how it booted fine with my i5 put back in the system. I’ve reset the bios numerous times and tried messing with the ram speeds not exceeding their rated speed.

Motherboard lights: Every time I tried turned on the system, the cpu light and dram lights would blink in some way, followed by a short blink of the vga light and the boot light would hold until the system inevitably froze. Changing the ram amounts and sticks themselves caused the dram light to blink for various lengths of time every boot; I didn’t record a pattern.

Current specs (excluding processor)
Z390e gaming motherboard
Rtx2080 ftw3
16gb trident z rgb 3200mhz
Kraken x72 aio
Nvme ssd
1tb hdd
80+ gold Corsair 850 psu

I don’t know if I’m just very unlucky or have a bad cpu, but I would love suggestions on how to fix this issue; or assurance that it is a bad cpu and that I should get it replaced

Have you updated the BIOS on your motherboard to the latest version ? Many times a simple BIOS update resolves these types of issues. This page indicates BIOS 1005 is needed -

If a BIOS update does not resolve the problems then you need to start with basic trouble shooting -

Take everything out of the motherboard, disconnect all power supply connections, remove the BIOS battery and let the motherboard sit for a minute.

Put the battery back in, reconnect the PSU leads, CPU, 1 memory stick, and your GPU...see if it will boot to the BIOS in that minimalist configuration...if everything is good then add in your C drive and set up the BIOS with your boot drive options and see if you can get into Windows.

If everything works then proceed to add one item at a time until the entire system is complete or you hit a snag and identify the culprit.

Sep 28, 2019
Have you updated the BIOS on your motherboard to the latest version ? Many times a simple BIOS update resolves these types of issues. This page indicates BIOS 1005 is needed -

If a BIOS update does not resolve the problems then you need to start with basic trouble shooting -

Take everything out of the motherboard, disconnect all power supply connections, remove the BIOS battery and let the motherboard sit for a minute.

Put the battery back in, reconnect the PSU leads, CPU, 1 memory stick, and your GPU...see if it will boot to the BIOS in that minimalist configuration...if everything is good then add in your C drive and set up the BIOS with your boot drive options and see if you can get into Windows.

If everything works then proceed to add one item at a time until the entire system is complete or you hit a snag and identify the culprit.

I was always able to make it to the bios, but would always freeze past that, just before you’d be able to log in. I just updated bios and I’m now unplugging everything and letting the motherboard sit without the battery. I’ll follow up after I put the i9 in. By the way this isn’t a new build, it already has windows installed and everything, this is just a cpu upgrade

Sep 28, 2019

How

You saved my life, thank you. Everything works fine after doing everything you suggested

Reactions: dorsai

TRENDING THREADS