Question New CPU causes motherboard to power then die after a half second

Dec 26, 2019
Replaced my ryzen 1500x with a 2700x on my b350 tomahawk board and having issues where the motherboard lights will turn on but then suddenly die after powering on. No fans come on at all. Ive tried reseating and resetting the CMOS, and I updated the BIOS back in septemeber so it should have support for the CPU. Any ideas and help would be much appreciated

Dec 26, 2019
Tried putting in the operational processor but it still cuts out. My theory now is that its shorting out from brackets from a different motherboard that ive used to install the cpu cooler. Will see.

Key word here is "should have".

I would suggest putting back in the operational CPU and double check your BIOS revision. Aside from that, if the BIOS is up to snuff then you could have a bad CPU or power delivery issues.

Dec 26, 2019
Disconnect everything in the PC from the PSU besides the CPU obviously. Hold the power button as you turn it on, Anything? Also, Try with just one stick of ram, Test each if you're running more than one.
Still no luck. the way it lights up for a split second makes me think the motherboard is fried. Appreciate the help

Dec 26, 2019
soundcloud.com
Still no luck. the way it lights up for a split second makes me think the motherboard is fried. Appreciate the help

Kinda seems that way. Then again, I had this same issue before with a CPU swap. Popped in a different power supply and bam, Solved! Tested the old, It worked fine in another PC just not the one I was fixing. All the specs are up to date and everything, Made no sense. And currently, The same PSU I mentioned, Working amazingly in my Ryzen build.

Some times weird things just happen. lol Try a different PSU and see whats up! The board being dead would literally just be that.. dead, No lights, Nothing for even a brief second most of the time.

Reactions: Davard22
Dec 26, 2019
Kinda seems that way. Then again, I had this same issue before with a CPU swap. Popped in a different power supply and bam, Solved! Tested the old, It worked fine in another PC just not the one I was fixing. All the specs are up to date and everything, Made no sense. And currently, The same PSU I mentioned, Working amazingly in my Ryzen build.

Some times weird things just happen. lol Try a different PSU and see whats up! The board being dead would literally just be that.. dead, No lights, Nothing for even a brief second most of the time.
I sadly have no other power supply to try with although this is a great idea. I think I may have to give it in to a repair shop to get a proper diagnostic done, because its quite challenging to figure out whats going wrong with little spare parts etc.

Dec 26, 2019
soundcloud.com
I sadly have no other power supply to try with although this is a great idea. I think I may have to give it in to a repair shop to get a proper diagnostic done, because its quite challenging to figure out whats going wrong with little spare parts etc.

Yeah, It sucks not having parts to always test with. Its why I tend to hold on to a lot of old gear.