nathanlynch1990

Commendable
Jun 14, 2017
I recently upgraded my Z270/i5 7600k to X570/3700x, running at stock. All other components stayed the same (1080ti, 2x8GB RAM 2400, same hard drives, same cooling setup, 850W PSU). I started having issues right away in gaming. Games would run for a while then the screen would cut to black, the sound and game would continue, but I was unable to tab out to Windows or anything, forcing a manual reboot. Even if I do get a solid hour of gaming, when I exit; Windows locks up. The mouse will move and I can launch the start menu, but that’s about it. Folders on the desktop will not open and cannot launch any new program. Task manager will launch, but not update. One strange thing I noticed was that all USB devices will reset. The connected Xbox controller will disconnect and keyboard/mouse RGB will go to default color cycle instead of what I programmed them to.

I am able to do light tasks for hours with no issues, and shorter synthetic benchmarks run as they should and scores match what the CPU/GPU should. Temps are also normal, the CPU at about 65C under load, GPU 60C. I run Remote Desktop for 8+ hours a day with none of the above issues, just when I start gaming.

So far, I have done a clean install of Windows 10, opted out of optional/preview updates, erased Nvidia drivers and did a clean install on those, updated BIOS from UEFI and within Windows, downloaded AMD’s driver package for my chipset, forced the PCIE slot the graphics card is in to run in 3.0 instead of auto. Nothing has worked. I am not seeing anything that stands out in the Event Log, other than manual reboots.

I’m thinking it has to be some kind of video driver issue, but I was not having these problems until I switched platforms, so maybe a legacy Intel driver getting in the way? Or am I looking at a serious compatibility issue?